Talk

Advanced search

Advice for complete novice, please

(4 Posts)
MummyDoIt Sun 07-Jun-09 22:20:16

I'm due to go camping this summer for the first time since I went with Girl Guides aged 11! I need to buy a tent and have absolutely no idea what to look for. Which brands are the best? How do I know how weatherproof they are? Which are the easiest to put up? I need something pretty small and basic to sleep me and my two DSs. Must be easy for one adult to put up alone. Any advice gratefully received!!!!

petnik Mon 08-Jun-09 09:42:21

Hello

Khyam do a great range of tents that are really easy to put up on your own. They have a lot of the poles already attached to the tent and you just click them into place. Their web address is www.khyam.co.uk/

Camping is great fun, i've been doing it since i was a kid and now i go with my own DD. Hope you find something that will work.

MummyDoIt Mon 08-Jun-09 14:26:41

Thanks! One of our local gardening centres has a huge display of tents at the moment. It's easy to pick out one that's the right sort of size but I have no idea which brands are good. I'll check out that one.

Peachy Tue 09-Jun-09 09:59:51

Hiya MDI smile

weatherproof- most tents (millets used to vary so double check) are graded with a HH rating, hydrostatic head, for waterprrof (basically the No of MM water the canvas could take in a standing water sit).

I wouldn't buy under 3000 in the UK but 3000 is perfectly fine and will be enough. I think that's pretty much the UK benchmark.

Otherwise you're looking at two things: inner first tents are IMO not truly weatherproof becuase of the potential to end up with a soggy tent if you pitch in rain- never happened to us when we had one but that was luck as a few years back we helped someone with the same model pitch in rain and realised just how bad it oculd get!.

Stability in wind is the other thing- a correctly pitched main brand tent should be stable but this si mroe complex; if you get a tennel you need to pitch so it doesn't form a windbreak, remembering that wind may change over the course of a trip: your tent is still unlikely to shift but the nopise can be scary for kids. OTOH a tunnel is incredibly easy to picth, often one person can do it (I suggest a khyam ontario as the ideal tent or shape (because its big so you can buy smaller similar ones) for new campers).

A geodesic (mul pod) tent is the epitome of stability but can be a nightmare to pitch and too big forsomesites.

How many people, MDI? Add 2 to actual occupanyt numbers to get berth nneeded

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now