Talk

Advanced search

What torch and latern do you use when camping - lighting advice needed!

(10 Posts)
peaceseeker Fri 05-Jun-09 12:34:09

I am planning our first trip and need advice about lighting. I have brought us a couple of head torches.

What else do I need? We have an 18 month old so need something thats safe around wandering hands.

Are maglite torches really good?

ZoeC Fri 05-Jun-09 12:37:13

I have quite a large maglite but it's heavy and cold to touch so I didn't take it camping. I bought a cheap torch from tesco that was rubber feeling outside.

I have a rechargeable camping lantern this one which will charge from your car cigarette lighter socket if you don't have electric hook-up.

peaceseeker Fri 05-Jun-09 12:40:57

That latern looks great Zoe and its a really good price as well.

peaceseeker Fri 05-Jun-09 12:45:52

Have you ever used a wind up latern?

ZoeC Fri 05-Jun-09 12:47:43

No, we've only been once though so I guess there's time! Although we are so far going with electric hook up so I can use plug-in lighting anyway.

peaceseeker Fri 05-Jun-09 13:26:33

EHU would just encourage me to take more junk essentials grin

Slubberdegullion Fri 05-Jun-09 16:24:26

x2 head torches

x2 solar lanterns that we use as night lights

1 wind up lantern.

I have an electic latern, a wind up which is fab and eco, but tbh casts a really horrible light. Most of all I love my gas light, it feels like proper camping especially the hissing noise.

We also take several torches. And head torches but I only really use that for reading.

FlappytheBat Fri 05-Jun-09 17:02:30

We were given a petrol lamp which we used a lot last year, nice bright light and gave out quite a bit of heat too - always welcome when camping early on in season in Scotland!

After several trips, read warning label, which stated that shouldn't be used in an enclosed area such as a tent, luckily don't seem to have suffered any carbon monoxide poisoning.

Now use battery operated led lanterns, not as nice and don't give out any heat.

Might have to try gas lamp, do they give out heat as well WhereTheWild....?

Moominpappa Fri 05-Jun-09 23:24:51

We had an outwell jupiter. Heap of junk. Both bulbs packed in just over the 1 year warranty period, the mains charger never worked, the car adaptor was tempremental and the battery lasted less than 1 evening.

We now have a pair of Ring lanterns, cost about £32 in most camping shops but you can get them for £19.49 from 7dayshop. Car-chargeable and wind-up if a boost is required. The light is a bit stark compared to a gas-mantle lantern but very useable. Also very light and compact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now