Talk

Advanced search

is it suitable for a 2 year old to go camping

(15 Posts)
sammynixon Thu 04-Jun-09 15:00:46

i have a 7 year old and a 2 year old. i cant afford a holiday so i thought i would take them camping. i need to find a nice campsite that doesn't cost too much..

also will my 2 year old be ok camping or is she too young..?

oliverboliverbutt Thu 04-Jun-09 15:03:32

2 year olds love camping. Just make sure you bring whatever night time things they like, books, dolls, blankets, etc.

oliverboliverbutt Thu 04-Jun-09 15:03:51

oh, and camping is a holiday!

JODIEwantsanewname Thu 04-Jun-09 15:04:08

Never too young!

We've just started camping this year (been 3 times now, and I 2 DS's, DS1 is 2 and DS2 is 11 months, they love it!!!!!!!!

Bumperlicioso Thu 04-Jun-09 15:05:17

Nah, she'll be fine. I took DD who is 2 in 2 weeks camping at the bank holiday weekend. Our saving grace was having a tent big enough to fit the travel cot in. Not sure how we would have kept her in bed otherwise...

Geocentric Thu 04-Jun-09 15:05:35

I took my DD camping when she was 2, and it was an "Old Scouts" camp in the woods, roughing it. She was fine and loved it. But we went prepared with fave toys, books, warm clothes, lots of quick snacks like dry cereal...

Overmydeadbody Thu 04-Jun-09 15:07:37

No one is ever too young to camp.

Campsites come cheap, last time we camped a few weekends ago it was £5 per nigt for me and £3 for DS.

3rdnparty Thu 04-Jun-09 15:31:21

We did our firest camp with ds at 15months ...wished we tried it earlier he was fine only just walking, only thing about 2 is if DD is a runner it can be a bit of pain always chasing after........other than that its fab

bigTillyMint Thu 04-Jun-09 15:36:27

2 is fine - we first took DS at 18mths.

Be prepared for her to get a bit out of routine, though - we found that there was no way he would sleep in the tent during the day (would on me on the beach, though!) and we did do a bit of driving around at bedtime to get him to fall asleep as it was too exciting in the tent with his sister!

redskyatnight Thu 04-Jun-09 15:37:49

DD went camping at 18 months and again and 2 and a bit. She spent the whole time covered in muck with a grin on her face. And was unphased even by the tent blowing down on her in the night. Think she enjoyed the holiday more than the rest of us

bunnyrabbit Thu 04-Jun-09 15:55:00

2 is fine. You're not potty training are you? I just thinks it's a damn site easier if they're in nappies.

Agreed with the take lost of snacks (I take dried fruit/cereal bars/breadsticks etc) and things you can whip up in a flash (little cereal boxes have a dear place in my memory of long car journeys) and a water bottle if che'll drink from one. It's a damn site easier that trying to use a cup/leaky beaker.

Taking DS2 for the first time this year. He'll be 16 months and will be in a travel cot.

If you have any questions/need advice packing list etc have a search of this board or ask away.

BR

rachels103 Thu 04-Jun-09 16:00:10

Yes - camping is great! We went with our ds at 2 and he had a fab time.
My words of wisdom...
Take more bedding than you ever thought possible, including a hot water bottle, and always have a loaf of bread and filling of choice to hand (ours was peanut butter) for times when meals don't happen at normal times.

Don't stress about bedtimes and if you're really lucky you might get a lie in (ours slept til 8.15 for 2 mornings despite being a 6am riser normally)

Have fun!

madwomanintheattic Thu 04-Jun-09 16:11:11

i took dd1 and ds 1 when they were 30 months and 10 months respectively. in hindsight it was a bit mad - something to do as dh was busy with work and i thought i ought to go somewhere in the summer. i had taken the travelcot for ds1, but in the end dd1 slept in it and i co-slept with ds on the airbed. as he woke every 2 hours to feed it was a nightmare staggering around the tent on an airbed without waking up dd1... lots of snacks, and mine were truly filthy, but happy... no lie-ins here i'm afraid, and not for anyone who camps near us these days - dd2 can't modulate her volume, so when the sun pops up and she starts talking, it's a bit of a nightmare! great fun though.

troutpout Sun 07-Jun-09 09:13:29

oh yes...muuuucch too young...you don't want to be doing that at all.it will be horrible.

winkgrin

<<grumbles>>
Ok...honestly...2 or younger is fine. dd has been going since she was a toddler.
<<whispers>>It is the best holiday ever for kids (and adults)
Just keep it quiet will you?
grin

sammynixon Mon 08-Jun-09 11:27:46

Thank you all so very much. i'll give it a go....
just need to find somewhere to take them now....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now