Talk

Advanced search

Dogs

(9 Posts)
schilke Wed 03-Jun-09 13:56:17

Not sure if this should go in Pets or Camping!

Going camping with our dog - she'll only be 7 months when we go. What do you do with dog if you want to go out for the day to a place where dogs are not allowed? I can only imagine that we can't go to such places or that I stay behind - don't drive so it'll have to be me!

Peachy Wed 03-Jun-09 14:02:12

Usually it's a no-no. I know Oakwood have a kennel (the theme park) but would imaginethat is really rare tbh

fairimum Thu 04-Jun-09 09:26:12

Some places have kennels but I wouldnt leave my dogs there - generally we go to dog friendly places!

'I can only imagine that we can't go to such places or that I stay behind'

Yup, got it in one I'm afraid, the site we go to is very quiet, and people often leave dogs at their tent all day, (tied up and in the shade). But you couldn't leave a puppy.

Hotcrossbunny Thu 04-Jun-09 09:51:08

We have this problem too.

Legoland have kennels round the back. Really cool and quiet. Take your own bedding, food/water etc. Great because you can pop back as often as you want. Our dog was fine there, and it meant we could go out as a family.

Alpine Grove campsite in Chard in Devon can arrange dog-sitting I believe. We haven't been there yet.

Peachy Thu 04-Jun-09 11:39:53

Chard is SOmerset isn't it? DH came from there, MIL is still there LOL

My Mum has a dog and camps and she takes him on most trips so then they do the long walks thing, but also has her main holiday without him whilst he stays at the vets (too ill for kennels now poor thing).

schilke Thu 04-Jun-09 20:13:48

Thanks for replies. I hadn't really thought through the logistics of taking her until the other day and then I realised we were rather limited!

Today I've booked a week at a cmapsite in Herefordshire - £99 for a week for 6 of us plus dog with electric hook up (not that we need it) and a water tap! I'm excited now. We're planning to visit lots of country parks and general walks.

<<prays for good weather>>

purpleduck Thu 04-Jun-09 20:33:51

Do you not need electric for your camping fridge? grin

We take our dogs camping and they love it.
It has gotten easier as they get older, but we have found that windbreaks positioned around the tent, and so that we could close any gaps was the most helpful - then we can let the dogs roam around in the tent, and the outside penned off area.

Last time we went camping, I was tempted to look into kennels for the day - or perhaps someone who looked after dogs in their home. DH wouldn't have it though (he loves the dogs lots - apparently more than I do... ) We ended up doing lots of long walks etc - had one day at the beach, but dh and a friend (we went with another family) went out walking.

I may look into getting them dogsat somewhere by the campsite when we go away camping in the summer.

I may

bump09 Fri 05-Jun-09 10:22:55

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now