Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

kyham tent owners - good or fad?

(5 Posts)
Nappyzoneisabeetrootrunner Mon 01-Jun-09 12:56:09

i would apreciate opinions on these please. Are they really easy to put up or just overpriced?

I am interested in this model if anyone can advise if rooms big enough to get 4 in?

here

Harimad Mon 01-Jun-09 13:31:25

Can't say as to this exact model, but we have a Kyham awning for our camping van and it's been brilliant.

We went on holiday last year with it when our DS was 18months, so I couldn't help DH putting it up as I was looking after DS wink - and yet he could totally manage on his own (which he couldn't have done with our last awning) and it was MUCH quicker...

fruitful Wed 03-Jun-09 22:29:13

Oh, we had that one. Sold it and got an Outwell Montana 6, which is much nicer smile.

Right. The rooms are big enough to get 4 in (well, 2 adults and 2 small children but sometimes we had the 2 adults in together and it was ok). They are quite slopey at the back of the bedroom so although the floorspace is fine, the usable space is not so good IYSWIM.

Its a dome tent so the headroom inside is not great. And it's not got any windows. The bedrooms were nice and dark though (we had a purple one).

It is quite quick to put up. Its nice that all the poles are stuck together and you just go round straightening all the joints. But if you are putting it up in any sort of wind you need 12 people to hold the thing because you open it out like a huge kite before you get much pegged down.

We're quicker at putting up the Montana than we were the KHYAM. We're not that keen campers though, maybe we were just not very good at it.

The thing that takes the time with both tents is getting all the pegs in and the guy ropes pulled out so the tent is the right shape and stable (tend to camp on flat sites in howling gales for some reason). The khyam design doesn't help with that.

HTH

bump09 Fri 05-Jun-09 10:42:14

Message deleted

bigTillyMint Fri 05-Jun-09 18:13:59

It's probably too late now, but we've had one for 7 years and it's fab. Very easy and quick to put up (I can do it on my own), leak-proof and has never been blown down or away. Bump is right!

We never had any problem putting it up in the wind - maybe you were doing it wrong fruitful wink

We slept 2 adults on a double airbed in one pod, two children in another and all the crap in the third pod. The only thing is the pods are sloping and you can't stand up in them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now