Talk

Advanced search

DISASTER! we were going to go to Loch Lomond for our first-ever camping trip but everyone's saying the ground is sodden...

(24 Posts)
AitchTwoOh Fri 29-May-09 11:29:08

and so we should head east. or DOWN (from glasgow).

what should we DO? i don't want to be more than an hour from home... i haven't googled, i haven't researched or geeked... i'm flying blind, people. (hate flying blind, i may not be suited to camping.)

LilRedWG Fri 29-May-09 11:30:12

Have a look at www.ukcampsite.co.uk. It's great for finding sites and reviews.

AitchTwoOh Fri 29-May-09 11:31:22

yy i have been, thanks. it's just that it's so hard to see where everything really is... if someone has a straight recommendation i'd happily take the word of a fellow mner. wink]

LilRedWG Fri 29-May-09 11:33:50

No experience of sunny Scotland, sorry. Have you called the site and asked what conditions are like today?

MrsMuddle Fri 29-May-09 11:39:35

Are you going to the one at Luss? Can't imagine that it will be sodden - it's hardly rained all week.

A very reliable and fussy friend highly recommends a camp site in North Berwick. It's about a 90 min drive.

expatinscotland Fri 29-May-09 11:43:32

It is soaked here still (not too far from Loch Lomond).

expatinscotland Fri 29-May-09 11:45:52

And the midgies are fecking unbelievable!

Am hoping for the mist the clear adn the wind to pick up.

AitchTwoOh Fri 29-May-09 12:35:50

have squeaked in here www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?page=2&revid=1745 looks good

Weegiemum Fri 29-May-09 12:37:07

midges already expat? Eeek!

expatinscotland Fri 29-May-09 12:38:33

Arrgggh! Yes, midgies! Oh, I hate them! They bite, they stick to drying paint when you're trying to paint furniture, they swarm about, they try to get in your eyes and nose.

And they're out!

Weegiemum Fri 29-May-09 12:40:16

boding well for our hebridean holiday this summer then. Urgh!

That site looks great, Aitch.

expatinscotland Fri 29-May-09 12:41:16

I can only see on the south-west side of the Trossachs, Aitch, and the mist is clearing, so it's likely the southern end of the loch is clear as a bell.

But be midgie aware because was at Inversnaid a couple of weeks ago and the ground was still very wet.

Die, midgie, DIE!

AitchTwoOh Fri 29-May-09 12:47:46

i am not midgie prepared, i'm afraid. my sis is bringing skin so soft...

expatinscotland Fri 29-May-09 12:50:37

I buy the big fat Colibri incense sticks from Spirit of Nature and they work pretty well. So does a smoky BBQ

Plenty of Skin So Soft. It does work but I do find it slightly sticky/oily and when combined with sweat it's not the nicest feeling in the world.

Our nextdoor neighbours have one of those £500 midgie zapper things and even that has limited effect sad.

AitchTwoOh Fri 29-May-09 13:15:35

oh my GOD i am SWEATING just packing up the car. it is BOILING out there. [excited]

expatinscotland Fri 29-May-09 13:29:53

This mist has totally broken here, Aitch!

It's going to be a scorcher.

Just waiting for DS to wake up from his nap so we can go walkies in the sun!!

FINALLY

PersephoneSnape Fri 29-May-09 13:34:48

weather now beautiful in central glasgow - hope it stays that way for you - have a smashing time!

expatinscotland Fri 29-May-09 13:35:36

Glad I took the frankfurters and burgers out of the freezer this morning.

Hooray! BBQ when DH gets home.

doggiesayswoof Fri 29-May-09 13:37:51

Well, I've heard that the show ground for the Drymen show tomorrow is drying nicely smile

Have a lovely time.

LilRedWG Fri 29-May-09 13:45:42

Looks fab Aitch.

AitchTwoOh Fri 29-May-09 13:55:41

thanks. am sick of packing now, i know i'll have forgotten loads of stuff. hmm
got to do the clothes and kitchen now...

NumptyMum Fri 29-May-09 14:11:16

I'm so jealous! Haven't dared go camping yet with DS, AND we'd have to buy a new tent (we have one of those coffin-shaped ones that is definitely for 2 people only). But the weather in Glasgow is gorgeous today, finally... Let us know where you are going and whether you'd recommend it, and perhaps I'll pluck up courage to go camping again (and raise finance sad to get a new tent).

glasjam Sat 30-May-09 00:33:36

What a magic weekend to go camping Aitch!! Surely midges fry to a crisp in this unfamiliar heat? Will be interested to hear how you get on. Am going to be all indolent in the back garden meself! Have a lovely time.

AitchTwoOh Sun 31-May-09 20:24:50

am back. a little sunburned from packing up the car this morning... everyone happy.

we ate A LOT of meat. and i highly recommend Girvan beach when Rangers are playing.

DESERTED, i kid you not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now