Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling all Devonian/cornish Campers - want a site recommendation please?

(13 Posts)
pavlovthecat Fri 29-May-09 08:30:58

We are going to go camping tomorrow for one night.

We want a basic site, you know a farmers field with a toilet block and showers, and running water. That'll do. What we want though is a good location.

We have been to a fantastic one near Bedruthan Steps in Cornwall, right on the cliff edge and walking distance from the beach. Ideally we would like something similar, near a beach, or a river or lake, with walking access ideally, and maybe access with a canoe? And plenty of space for DD to run around/put up our enormous hippy tent. Devon or Cornwall, but around an hour drive from plymouth. Unless it is amazing then we will go a bit further.

We are by nature rustic campers, not interested in pools and shops, so doubt we will find what we want online.

Word of mouth recommendations would be appreciated smile

Hassled Fri 29-May-09 08:34:45

We stayed [http://www.harfordbridge.co.uk/ here]] a couple of years ago - looking at the website it seems a bit less basic than it was, but the location is wonderful, and it's about an hour (maybe less?) from Plymouth. Really nice people running it as well - they kept apologising for the rain!

Hassled Fri 29-May-09 08:35:07

sorry here

pavlovthecat Fri 29-May-09 08:39:46

Is the river accessible from the campsite ie can we use it?

I have a feeling it might be quite busy though?

pavlovthecat Fri 29-May-09 08:40:40

I know where that is actually, I have friends who live near tavistock so we spent a bit of time there.

Hassled Fri 29-May-09 08:42:47

The river is part of the site - so some tents are right next to it. You can certainly use it as in paddle, build damns etc, but not sure what else.

We went during a very wet May 2 years ago and the place was really quiet - but it does look like it's been tarted up since then so might be busier.

pavlovthecat Fri 29-May-09 08:45:43

oh paddling is good,we have a kayak and a canadian (well our friends have the canadian, but are hopfully coming too).

I sort of like not having shops near though. Does that sound daft? I like actually feeling like we are remote. A bit close to nature. I am sure when DD and the new baby are older they will require more entertainment than gathering wood for a fire, but while they have no choice...grin

Hassled Fri 29-May-09 09:11:24

No, that doesn't sound daft - I'm with you in principle. In reality though I've learned I am not one of life's natural campers .

pavlovthecat Fri 29-May-09 09:32:26

I have bookmarked it though.

Any more suggestions?

Devendra Tue 02-Jun-09 19:43:53

www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=5621

Ive been here a few times and its lovely.. right next to a river and you can have open fires. Maybe next time you go!

nevergoogledragonbutter Tue 02-Jun-09 19:50:19

There's one near Beesands. It's Cotmore farm, but it's not the old cotmore farm one that has a website.
If DH gets home i'll ask him if he knows the number.

hophophippidtyhop Wed 03-Jun-09 15:08:07

We're going here in a couple of weeks. Not been before but i'm getting excited looking at the pics. We've booked a pre erected tent with all the equipment, as our current one is way too small, and need to test how dd is with camping before investing!

nevergoogledragonbutter Thu 04-Jun-09 22:47:11

the one i was thinking of isn't doing any camping this year. we tried to book this evening. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now