Talk

Advanced search

has anyone stayed in a ten for more than a month?

(55 Posts)
badmummygoodmummy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:44:14

Will probs be 12 weeks, was it bearable? Any tips?

Blandmum Sun 21-Sep-08 17:45:04

I'm planning on spending 5-6 weeks, next summer.....would be interested in the answers

chocolatemummy Sun 21-Sep-08 17:54:06

assuming it would be a pretty fantatsic tent with all the extras it should be okay? what time of year would it be?

badmummygoodmummy Sun 21-Sep-08 18:03:31

this time of year eek

badmummygoodmummy Sun 21-Sep-08 18:03:59

well 8 weeks all in all when ive just checked lol

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 18:05:09

i've done it.

air the tent as much as possible.

give it a good sweep daily to stay on top of it all.

try to hang your washing elsewhere outside the tent.

CarGirl Sun 21-Sep-08 18:05:17

YOur dd would be at school during the day etc, I think it would fine - not fantastic but okay.

iamdingdong Sun 21-Sep-08 18:06:52

yes - as a student working as campsite rep... wouldn't want to do it at this time of year with a family though shock

Beetroot Sun 21-Sep-08 18:08:06

Why are you planning on doing this>

MB where are you going ?

badmummygoodmummy Sun 21-Sep-08 18:08:31

expat how long did you do it for and what time of year.

Cargirl I have replied to your post on the other thread

The site Ive seen has laundrette, showers and facilities etc.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 18:09:05

in the UK this time of year?

hmm.

again, i've done it. in worse conditions than the UK this time of year.

BUT not with kids.

Overmydeadbody Sun 21-Sep-08 18:09:13

I did a fair few three month stints in tents with my family as a child, but we where travelling around so the tent wasn't permenantly erected and we had the odd one night breaks in hotels etc.

I've seen the photos though, we looks like right urchins, filthy and weather beaten but happy!grin

Beetroot Sun 21-Sep-08 18:10:28

tell me why?

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 18:11:05

i did it for 8 weeks once in May/June in Nepal and about 8 weeks another time in May/June in Pakistan - sounds pleasant but wasn't so much so because it got very cold at night and very warm in the day, perfect for making you sick.

also crossed the US by car one summer/autumn and lived in the tent every night at campsites - some better than others.

Blandmum Sun 21-Sep-08 18:11:41

France, beetroot.

Down to Carcassonne, via the Loire and Dordogne, and home via the auvergne and burgundy (with a side trip to eurodisney and paris

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 18:12:47

'The site Ive seen has laundrette, showers and facilities etc.'

Yeah, I'd think this is VERY doable!

Just keep on top of the sweeping and you should be all right this time of year.

Any chance of renting a static caravan for this time?

We're looking at renting one for permanent residence next year.

badmummygoodmummy Sun 21-Sep-08 18:13:18

Long story Beetroot but I cant stay where I am currently living and I cant afford to move for around 8 weeks.

Blandmum Sun 21-Sep-08 18:14:39

For camping this time of year

It is essential that you are warm at night, and for this you need layers under you as well as over you.

You will also need to air sheets etc as condensation can be a problem

Keep spare clothing in plastic boxes with a sealed lid, to keep the damp out. Even if the tent is waterproof, stuff gets damp if it rains a lot.

Crocs for trips to the loo/showers etc that can be left at the door to avoid treading muck into the tent

sallystrawberry Sun 21-Sep-08 18:14:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

badmummygoodmummy Sun 21-Sep-08 18:15:17

it would depend on the deposit needed expat, can you get statics to rent at this time of year, i thought that kind of site closed october time ish.

sallystrawberry Sun 21-Sep-08 18:15:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

badmummygoodmummy Sun 21-Sep-08 18:16:26

got decent mummy sleeping bags, cant remember what name of tent is but its a decent one with 2 bedroom chamber thingies.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 18:17:17

i think on a real campsite this is very doable, bad.

it's actually a bit warm this time of year, even for here.

it makes a real difference if you're able to keep clean and keep your clothes clean, too.

get a little sweep brush thingie and just give it a good brush every day. or a small patio broom.

if you're going to be sleeping on the ground, i recommend two sleeping pads for this time of year - a closed cell and an open cell. both can be had pretty cheaply.

also air your sleeping bags daily, on a line if possible.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Sep-08 18:18:05

some sites do close this time of year.

others stay open and charge lower rates this time of year.

WendyWeber Sun 21-Sep-08 18:18:29

Yes, though not with kids.

But somebody we know did this in a trailer tent on a local site when they were between houses (sold one, other not available yet) - it was autumn & their youngest started school from the tent IIRC shock. Not sure how long it was for, several weeks at least, but they survived OK.

And Rhubarb & her family lived in a small caravan for months when they first moved to France.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now