Talk

Advanced search

Bongos??????????? Tell me all about them please!

(11 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 15-Sep-08 11:58:04

We are looking to buy a campervan and have come across Bongos which look ideal so we can strap DS in the back in a 3 point harness, yippee! Can anyone tell me about their experiences with Bongos? Could we use it as a main car too? I'm excited and I NEED to know about them!

metmoo Mon 15-Sep-08 17:34:44

i want one too ive seen loads of them around and you can have a choice of layouts also majority of them are 4wd and automatic if you google bongo fury its agood site to look at we're not getting one for 3 years as i need to pay off m car first let us know how you go

dustystar Mon 15-Sep-08 17:37:05

My sister has one and she loves it. They use it as their main car and although I thought she was mad when she said they were getting one I was actually really impressed with how spacious it was inside. They are a bit thirsty though and you only get about 25-30 MPG.

browny Mon 15-Sep-08 17:47:50

We've had ours for 4 years and love it!grin, we have the Bongo with the elevating roof (two people can then sleep up there) and the two back seats go down to make a huge double bed too.

My dh regularly takes our four children away (yes, leaving me at home with the dog!winkgrin) for the weekend! The back set of seats can lift up and hooked onto the sides of the Bongo, leaving you with a huge boot, enough for four bikes!

Also, it's a huge asset when you visit Ikea to buy wardrobes... as Ikea charge £40 for delivery, there's masses of room too when you fold all the back seats down... I think it's the ideal family car, great for last minute get-aways, taking 'stuff' to the tip and loading it up with bikes.

Did you know that you can buy Bongos that have been converted, i.e. have kitchens in the back? Have a look at www.bongofury.co.uk for more information. We have been going to the Bongo Bash, which is a huge 230+ bongo meet-up in Worcestershire every year since we bought it... loads of fun!

browny Mon 15-Sep-08 17:49:07

Oh, forgot to say, it's our main car too smile, we have a diesel and it's not too thirsty.

DorisIsAPinkDragon Mon 15-Sep-08 17:57:05

My sis has these as part of a acampervan hire business around scotland and afaik she has had no real touble. She also uses one as the family car and has 2 children under 2! and has loads of the extras that you can add on

TheConfusedOne Mon 15-Sep-08 18:02:05

I don't use one as a Camper, but have had one for a year as main car ( I am a CM, so brilliant being 8 seater)

I have a diesel, automatic, and its the best car I have had.

filthymindedvixen Mon 15-Sep-08 18:11:19

we bought one in May. it is not the same as having our campervan, which I miss on a daily basis, but it is a ruddy marvel and a good compromise!
Ours has pop up roof but not converted inside (we are skint) It is a great everyday vehicle and the boys love sleeping in the roof.
We have a splendid awning which we use when camping (we sleep in awning) though I have slept in back of bongo several times.
Everytime we are out camping in it, people come and admire it
We use it as everyday car and is is comfy and reliable and not too expensive to run.
Ours is called Billy Bongo-San grin

filthymindedvixen Mon 15-Sep-08 18:21:51

Some helpful threads...

here

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=2417&threadid=389307#8318727 and here]]

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=2417&threadid=318653#6428148 and here]]

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=2417&threadid=319815#6453600 and here]]

There are loads of Bongo threwads actually

filthymindedvixen Mon 15-Sep-08 18:22:26

ah bolleaux

and here

and here

and here

ILikeYourSleeves Mon 15-Sep-08 21:19:59

Thanks everyone, we are soooo excited about the Bongo! We were up at SIL's caravan at the weekend and it resparked our campervan dream. I am thinking of trading in my car to go towards it so we will just have DH's car and the Bongo instead of 2 cars and a Bongo which seems a bit silly. There is a place near me that sells them so we have renamed this Thursday as 'Bongo Day' and we're going for a look!

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now