Talk

Advanced search

So, who went to Vanfest :-)

(11 Posts)
Paddlechick666 Sun 14-Sep-08 16:29:20

our first vanfest and we had a great time. Arrived too late (4pm Friday!) for family camping but luckily didn't get too bogged down.
Nearly home for a hot bath and an Indian take-away after being in a great veedub convoy on the m4 for a little while.

brightwell Sun 14-Sep-08 17:07:42

A friend of mine was going, she was really looking forward to it. I'm sure she had a great time.

PuppyMonkey Sun 14-Sep-08 17:12:14

DP has just leftit... he was trying to sell our Bobby the Campervan (1967 splitty) but no luck so far. Lodsa people interested though!

Paddlechick666 Sun 14-Sep-08 19:35:07

hi puppy, i'm in the market for my own van and was looking around the sales field.

it's complicated but H and I live seperately and he has his bay type 2 which i adore and now i want one of my own.

budget would get me an okay t25 but i want a bay LOL.

Friday was a total downpour and incredibly wet but it didn't stop anyone having fun. Saturday was balmy and today was damp and foggy!

NorbertDentressangle Sun 14-Sep-08 19:39:39

We went last year in our old Beetle. DC loved it.

Its just down the road from us so we've seen loads of them driving around all weekend - very envy of some of them.

Paddlechick666 Mon 15-Sep-08 08:54:47

apparently it was nearly cancelled due to weather this year.

H is now a convert to VW rallies so he's off to hunt down more events LOL.

Minkus Mon 15-Sep-08 22:49:32

It was our first- we were umming and ahing about getting one but really want one now!(looking for a splitty puppymonkey, what's your dp got?)

It was so much fun, such a nice family vibe. ds1 is nearly 4 and absolutely loved it. DS2 is 10 weeks though and was less impressed.

What are the pro's and cons of family vw'ing though ladies, I was going to start a thread on this.

Paddlechick666 Tue 16-Sep-08 10:11:56

Keep an eye on ebay and watch how much they go for Minkus.

Don't especially expect values to drop due to season as these gorgeous things stay quite stable thru-out the year IMO.

Altho, I am expecting more to come on the market and prices to get a bit competitive with the credit crunch. H was even musing about selling his last night but I think I managed to persuade him not to LOL. Mind you, he was only going to sell to me!

What's your budget and are you prepared to do some work on it? If you are, cosmetic or structural, you can get some bargains.

As for pros and cons, tbh I can't think of any cons as long as you're well set up and organised LOL. For family trips you definately need some sort of awning or gazebo (we have a gazebo) which allows you to chuck the kids out whilst you cook. Or chuck the kids inside whilst you cook outside LOL.

IMO the devon conversion on the type 2 bays isn't great for families. The hammock system in the roof is okay for older kids but not younger. We have a westy and the roof bed is very solid and secure with a hatch that can be closed to prevent fall out! My preference is a full width rock n roll bed too, especially with littlies as they tend to bunk in with you. My dd is almost 3yrs and might start the night in the roof but ends up in with us later on.

I'm condidering a T25 as they are slightly newer and extras already fitted like leisure battery and 3 way fridge and chemical toilet. You compromise on your R&R bed to achieve that tho. It would be okay for my van as it'd just be me and dd. If H joined us he'd come in his van. They don't have the romance of a bay or splitty tho.

Honestly, I've racked my brains for cons but can't think of any unless you count maintenance of your bus etc.

Hope you find something to love and treasure and have fun in!

smile

mabel1973 Tue 16-Sep-08 17:30:37

ooo! would have loved to have gone, but DH was working.
We went to Run to the hills locally though, which our 1st experience of a VW get together..loved it grin
we are hooked now!

Surfermum Tue 16-Sep-08 17:35:52

We wanted to go but left it too late to book. We've booked for Oktoberfest though.

Minkus Tue 16-Sep-08 20:36:24

Paddlechick we don't mind doing work on something, dh is very handy mechanically and has built a few cars from scratch so that side of things is fine. Similarly I'm happy to fiddle about with the inside (with dh doing the actual work, natch!) but it's the bodywork that is the sticking point- we don't mind something that needs respraying or a leetle bit of tlc but don't want to go as far as having to replace panels. So I guess that a part finished restoration job would suit quite well!

What I really really want (in the immortal words of mels c and b et al) is a splitty or early bay. Have yet to brush up on the correct vocab so will have just identified myself as a complete newbie . Guess that those types are hugely desirable and ££££ from what I've seen so far from web sites/mags etc so will probably end up with a tent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now