Talk

Advanced search

Our ground sheet isnt attatched....

(21 Posts)
jojo76 Sat 30-Aug-08 22:04:46

We got this massive tent from argos in the sale a while ago, and were going camping on tuesday.

Dh and I did a practice run in it when we went to a wedding on the isle of wight, and we were really pleased with the tent on the whole, its big, so we wont outgrow it, it was fairly easy to put up (but a bitch to get back in the bag shock ), but the groundsheet in the living area wasnt attatched to the main tent. it had flap bits on the main tent. What i dont get is what we do with the flappy bits!! Do they go under the groundsheet, or folded out and away from the tent?? And will we be freezing if its cold, getting worried now that its going to be really really draughty! I know camping is draughty, btw, but was a non attatched groundsheet a total camping no-no??

PeaMcLean Sat 30-Aug-08 22:07:21

Hiya, we've just changed to a tent with a sewn in groundsheet - mainly cos of rain as we used to get drips on the groundsheet, which then spread all over the place. I'm not sure it makes the tent any warmer though, if that's any comfort.

Dunno bout flappy bits! What sort of tent is it? Can you do a link?

jojo76 Sat 30-Aug-08 22:18:11

Thanks peamclean, am comforted about the warmth, mildly disconcerted about the rain drips!!
I will try to link to the tent,
here

actually ive just seen that the groundsheet can be attatched.....i wonder how...

PeaMcLean Sat 30-Aug-08 22:39:35

Good god it's enormous!!! grin

Hmm, curious about a groundsheet which can be atached. Hope someone comes along who knows about that!

Rain drips were when you didn't get the groundsheet to line up exactly just short of the outside of the tent, so the rain just dripped down, IYSWIM.

jojo76 Sat 30-Aug-08 22:50:18

LOL I know, it's a monster!!! It was frankly embarassing putting it up with just me and DH!
I just got so carried away as it was half price, and thought "sod it, we can take ds's mates on holls with us when they are bigger!" Not sure how likely that is in reality...!
Ok, will be sure to line up groundsheet properly.

dylsmum1998 Sun 31-Aug-08 02:26:21

i saw someone with a tent complete with flappy bits, they pu them so they went outwards away from tent.
hope that helps

madamy Sun 31-Aug-08 09:51:59

no, no - flappy bits go inside the tent, tucked under the groundsheet. There might be toggles or other little fasteners to attach the groundsheet to the inside of the tent or the flaps.

When it rains, the water runs off the tent and because the flaps are tucked underneath, onto the grass. If the flaps were out, rain would puddle on them iykwim!

Non - sewn in groundsheets can be a bit more draughty, but if you do the above, shouldn't really be noticeable!

dylsmum1998 Sun 31-Aug-08 10:23:35

i did wonder about what happens when it raiins with the flaps how they had put them, but it didnt rain when we were there so didnt get to see LOL

Whizzz Sun 31-Aug-08 13:53:31

grin we just tried out our new tent with a separate groundsheet & we wondered the same too as nothing was mentioned in the instructions. We had toggles on the groundsheet so that it pegged up the side of the tent for a couple of inches & then the flaps on the outside which we, pegged down outside so that any rain would run off them away from the tent. It did drizzle a bit this morning, but no leaks inside (& no slugs either!!)

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 14:04:27

we have a tent that has a maindome and than 3 bedroom off it...and in the mainpart the groundsheet is not attached as souch, but it attached with some clips tothe main tent...does that ame sense at all...anyway....it's fine and we used it in colder weather and still fine...hth

this is what our tent is like

MatNanPlus Sun 31-Aug-08 14:07:47

fab whizzz

Love the tent Jojo76

MatNanPlus Sun 31-Aug-08 14:08:42

Same tent 3anm as Jojo76

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 16:09:48

it is a fab tent...and we bought it not just because we have 3 Kids and always seem to take the content of the house with us, lol...but also, so kids can take Friends, or in case SIl's and their hubbies would wat to join!

I am really sure there are clips of some description on tent and groundsheet....
You actually have an extra smaller groundsheet, incase you want to use one of the "bedrooms" as a storage part of the tent....which is brill

We totally love it and paid only £99 last year, and for that money it is a brill tent
Went camping last week and the people that arrived just after us and camped right next to us had the same tent

Whizzz Sun 31-Aug-08 16:23:57

The big question is....did it all go back in the bag?????

MatNanPlus Sun 31-Aug-08 16:26:14

It is great and you have a games troom for those wet / lazy days

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 16:37:42

well, dh was in the Army for 24 years so, is a bit of a whizz at it
Now, I probably wouldn't manage it,lol...

will ask him for tips in a mo

slayerette Sun 31-Aug-08 16:56:11

jojo - just make sure you warn campsites how big your tent is when you book! Ours, which is 6m long, only just fitted on the pitch of the last site we were on - you might need to book two pitches on a lot of sites.

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 18:00:26

as for fitting in a bag...we just sort of throw the corners into the middle, and do that over and over, round and round...until the tent is the lenght of teh bag....then squeeze air out by putting your own weight on and it should fit....(not sure I explained that well...I know what I mean, lol)

jojo76 Sun 31-Aug-08 22:41:15

good point slayrette, I will check! thanks everyone for the tips on the flappy bits grin
3andnomore, so reasurring that you love your tent, was wondering if i had just got seduced by the size and price without actually thinking it through, Im glad you like yours, I think we will once we get used to putting it up and down, and like you say lots of room for kids + others!! The bagging instructions make perfect sense, we tried folding last time in squares, with disasterous results, will try your technique this time! I saw some massive luggage bags in town, and did think if we have a nightmare with it this time, we will get an extra bag to put some of it in!
thanks for all the advice everyone!

3andnomore Sun 31-Aug-08 23:31:25

you are welcome

Whizzz Thu 04-Sep-08 14:57:03

I've looked on UK Campsite & from what I've found there are two variations on what you can do with 'flappy bits' grin - basically whats been described here.
Ours have little toggles on too so you could actually roll them up out of the way if you wanted to.

The drawback of folding the flaps under the groundsheet is (apparantly!) you're messing with the ventilation of the tent so you may get more condensation on the inside (as its sealed better). I suppose what you do with your flaps (!) depnds on the weather forecast!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now