Talk

Advanced search

Would you camp in this weather...

(17 Posts)
Millimat Sat 16-Aug-08 21:51:25

...with a 4 and 1 year old who have only been once before? Last time was 2 glorious days and nights and they loved it. We were planning on going for 5 nights next week but don't want to commit ourselves and then me us all be put off the idea forever through being wet through and miserable. We have a fab 6 berth tent with a biggish living area but have no desire to go camping and be stuck inside a tent for days on end.
I am in such a quandry and don't know what to do. Help please!

thisisyesterday Sat 16-Aug-08 21:55:26

yeah I would. I am sure you can find plenty to do even if it rains

Slubberdegullion Sat 16-Aug-08 21:58:53

Oh I would go. The forecast last w/e was dire beyond all belief for this week just gone. We headed off, me half expecting to be returning the next day. The weather was pretty good. Some wet nights, but lots os sunshine too. We had a great week.

yah boo sucks to metcheck

spudmasher Sat 16-Aug-08 22:00:26

Where are you going milli?

Millimat Sat 16-Aug-08 22:04:17

Don't know yet! Depends on weather! I have to say I usually find metcheck so reliable but def not so at the moment. Out origianl plans was to go to near Legoland. Found some fab campsites, but guess that by now they will be totally booked up!

spudmasher Sat 16-Aug-08 22:09:34

Well last year I was shouted down by all the spuds for wanting to stay at home then we ended up going and getting flooded and waking up shin deep in water, abandoning tent etc bbbuuuuuutttt at least we went and I was not the one who spoiled all the fun and in the end what we now have is a Great family adventure story about When We Were Flooded Out Of The Tent and that is priceless. How bad can it be? Go and take plenty of wine and have fun X

Millimat Sat 16-Aug-08 22:22:20

Strating to feel more positive about it all now...as i hear the rain hammering on the window! hmm

spudmasher Sat 16-Aug-08 22:27:56

You have to go, just be prepared for a challenge and you will create a lifelong fabulous memory. You do not want to remember the time when you cancelled camping!!!

Millimat Sat 16-Aug-08 22:31:31

very true! Will ring sites in the morning to check availability. Thanks x

spudmasher Sat 16-Aug-08 22:32:20

Have fun!!

tigana Sat 16-Aug-08 22:34:43

Take many changes of clothes ( esp. socks and trousers), extra towels, blankets and indoor toys. If it is not too cold, bare feet or flip flops are better than clumpy muddy wellies (but take them too).
Research 'wet weather activities' in the area.
Have fun!!

saggyhairyarse Sun 17-Aug-08 08:56:19

Hope you go! DH wanted to cancel last week because of weather report but we went and it only rained once.

PeaMcLean Sun 17-Aug-08 21:01:58

We go later this week. I'm taking wellies and door mats. Can't face the idea of going round with soggy ends to my trousers.

TBH I'm not really looking forward to it but like spudmasher don't want to be the one who cancels. God I could regret that.

saggyhairyarse Sun 17-Aug-08 21:49:14

I just wear shorts regardless of weather

PeaMcLean Sun 17-Aug-08 21:51:21

Good lord no. I do not wear shorts. Ever.

It would be inconsiderate.

grin

SorenLorensen Sun 17-Aug-08 21:52:55

I was very pessimistic about going last week as the forecast was dire but, in the end, it rained when we put the tent up, rained when we took the tent down (which was a bugger as we now have wet tent draped all over our kitchen/dining room) but in between it was pretty good (rained mostly at night). Take plenty of clothes, wellies, waterproofs etc. and be prepared to go out even if it is raining. And if you have EHU take a fan heater then you can get stuff dry if you hang it up inside the tent.

Pea McClean - I spent the whole week in wellies with my trousers rolled up grin

Overmydeadbody Sun 17-Aug-08 21:53:55

I've just got back from a weekend of camping, it rained for 9 hrs solid last night, torential rain, it soaked through the groundsheet there was so much water running under the tent!

We still had a great time, go prepared with waterproofs and wellies and you'll all be fine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now