Talk

Advanced search

Soooo it's getting close to our Feather Down Farm camping experiment & I need to buy some lighting... & a tracker

(21 Posts)
jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 21:27:29

Last time we went camping with ds1 he woke in the middle of the night and was terrified because it was dark. Screamed so loudly he set of a field of donkeys which woke the entire campsite [shame]. He always sleeps with the hall light on.

So I need to take some form of lighting that can be left on all night. Preferably outside wherever he ends up sleeping (bright lights keep him awake).

Any recommendations?

And I still haven't sorted a tracker system for him so any feedback about the loc8tor would be appreciated (saw it in Millets - think it may fit the bill). I do know there is no mobile phone signal where we're going (thanks to Abby for letting me know).

Ds1 is profoundly autistic for those not in the know. Hence the ridiculous fuss!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 21:27:53

oh blush I mean.

Waswondering Fri 15-Aug-08 21:32:00

We have Gellert lantern things that have 2 settings - bright and press the button again to get very, very dim - perfect for me feeding in the middle of the night!

We left it on for ds and left the top part of his bedroom door open a bit (zips at the top!) so that he could see it.

Does that help?

Not a clue where we got them from 2 years ago, but they do have the 2 lighting selections.

Blandmum Fri 15-Aug-08 21:34:25

do you have a decathlon store near you?

they sell little LED lamps that have a red setting that could eaily be left on all night. the l;amps can run for 170 hours on one set of batteries and stay cool

if you can't get one, email me and I'll post you one

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 21:34:34

Yes that sort of thing sounds ideal.....

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 21:35:18

Nope no decathlon (I looked after I saw your lovely tents!- nearest is Kent or Essex or somewhere )

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 21:35:35

I was looking up solar garden lights for you, yurt, as I thought you'd need something which could withstand the elements if it's to be outside. The maximum period of illumination seems to be 8 hours - would that be enough, do you think?

Blandmum Fri 15-Aug-08 21:36:09

I'm going to one on tuesday, do you want me to pick you up a lamp?

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 21:36:36

Or a little LED lamp with a cloth over to dim the light? Think my dad gets them from maplins

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 21:36:56

Oh we have some solar garden lights..... that could be an idea. Although it will need to be in the palace tent- and they have wooden floors so I'm not sure they will work. I might take one just in case though!

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 21:37:31

Yes please MB- let me know how much to send you (can do paypal if you have it).

Habbibu Fri 15-Aug-08 21:37:55

Oh - had it in my head it would be outside a tent, but then remembered the awfy fancy "tents" you're staying in!

Blandmum Fri 15-Aug-08 21:39:36

No worries, consider it a 'swap' for the rainbow maker! grin

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Fri 15-Aug-08 21:42:57

well you're sweet and I knew you'd say something like that, but I will have to send something else in return one day (actually I intend to book the thomas centre and turn up with a bottle of wine ).

They are ridiculous aren't they Habbibu? But the same price as a cottage!

Slubberdegullion Sat 16-Aug-08 19:22:43

We have just returned from camping with dc who hate the dark.

These were brilliant (and super cheap). At night time we just pulled the light bit off the spike bit, turned them upside down and stuck them in the tent. They lasted all night, and cast a nice gentle glow. No screaming.

FourArms Sat 16-Aug-08 19:31:32

Could you put the solar powered light in a bucket of sand?

Would one of those sun jars be powerful enough?

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 16-Aug-08 21:19:55

Thanks for ideas.....

artichokes Sat 16-Aug-08 21:24:23

We have just returned from Featherdown (a very wet, but very fun 4 nights). The tents have hooks for lanterns in each room. You get two oil lamps in your tent which are full of paraffin and burn for hours. We left one of those burning on the hook by the loo so we could all go to the bathroom safely. The farmer assured us there was no danger of fire if they were hung on the porper hook and the glass container was closed properly.

anniebear Sun 17-Aug-08 23:50:27

Oh no jimjams!

reminded me of the time with took DD (SN) to the beach, there were these really placid looking donkeys, that looked so close to bolting when DD started screaming when she saw them!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry, no help at all lol

anniebear Sun 17-Aug-08 23:51:27

Hope it goes really well for you JJ smile

we have just got a tent, am worried about DD waking everyone at 5.30am shock

AbbyMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 09-Sep-08 15:04:17

How was it, Jimjams?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now