Talk

Advanced search

Midges!!!.....

(23 Posts)
twofishes Wed 13-Aug-08 20:52:39

okay having looked at the reviews on ukcampsite for the site we spending our 5 days camping (stupid I know blush NEVER look at reviews AFTER you've booked!!)at end of August...reviews are good 'cept for the dreaded midges...so I need your help
what works with the little buggers?
Have got those mosquito coil things for outside tent, thinking of getting some kid friendly midge repellent but need some MN endorsement of stuff that actually works hmm

midnightexpress Wed 13-Aug-08 20:55:08

Avon Skin So Soft dry oil - it's what the army use (!) apparently. I can't remember which flavour, is it forest fresh? I've got a bottle somewhere - I'll see if I can find it.

If it helps (prob not) the weather has been so farkin dreadful that there aren't an awful lot of midges about, if it's the Highlands that you're going to.

MaureenMLove Wed 13-Aug-08 20:57:17

So Soft Moisuriser from Avon. They sell it by the crate load on the West coast of Scotland, where the wee beasties are a nightmare!

MaureenMLove Wed 13-Aug-08 20:58:19

Wow! Look at that. It must work then! grin Mines in a blue bottle, I think, spray kind.

sallystrawberry Wed 13-Aug-08 20:58:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

runnervt Wed 13-Aug-08 20:59:23

Clothes work best really - so avoid exposed skin when they're biting. Take hats for you all too. Try and get a breezy spot as any wind sees them off. Avon Skin so soft moisturising oil is recommended by lots of people - much nicer than 'proper' midge repellants although I did hear someone say they've changed the formulation recently so it's so good now.
Unfortunatley if the midges are bad then it's no fun to be outside.
hth smile

sallystrawberry Wed 13-Aug-08 20:59:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TillyScoutsmum Wed 13-Aug-08 20:59:33

I've just come back from Highlands and there were loads of midges (despite recent shite weather)

Will get Avon before next time !

midnightexpress Wed 13-Aug-08 21:01:58

Right, found the bottle - it's Woodland Fresh flavour.

I stand corrected Tilly grin. Little bugggers.

MaureenMLove Wed 13-Aug-08 21:12:06

Its the damp warm weather that brings the little buggers to life!

twofishes Wed 13-Aug-08 21:26:25

Bugger will have to hunt down my Avon lady and see if I can get an order in before we go..
This site is in Yorkshire nr Whitby but has the moorland and a pine forest nearby which I suppose is where the midges lurk !!
I have visions of being trapped in a tent with three kids and swarms of midges circling outside!!

Millimat Wed 13-Aug-08 21:28:56

Yep Avon the best. Think you can also order it online too.

rosalee Sat 23-Aug-08 01:48:27

I have just ordered a lamp oil with a mat inside which deters mosquitoes etc, from a company called "clearlite". As i have 2 young kids i was a bit dubious but apparently it stays cool and the oil does not leak out. You can get more info from ukcampsite as it was on this site that I had 1st heard about it.

Weegiemum Sat 23-Aug-08 02:48:40

There are so MANY remedies advertised/recomended.

I lived in the Outer Hebrides for 10 years. What works? STAYING INSIDE

I dont know about anywhere else, but in the Hebrides the midges are immune to tea tree/lavender/citronella, candles, Jungle Formula and Skin So Soft.

Long sleeves/long trousers/head net seems to be the only way to go.

In the North, the weather has been dry, meaning less midges. However, IME less makes nt a blind bit of difference. We used to run 20 yards from the car to the door and be bitten 20-30 times.

Try any recommended remedies, but if you are on the West coast of Scotlan, seriously, expect them all to be rubbish!

gscrym Sat 23-Aug-08 05:52:33

A hairy trucker friend of mine swears by diesel. But with the current prices, you'd be cheaper with Skin So Soft. Also you would have to smell like a hairy trucker for the whole of your holiday. DH got some from Aldi and said it worked really well. He was at Gairlochead which is polluted with them.

The West Coast Midge has developed a good immunity to most remedies. Try to be indoors at dusk as they seem to be worse then.

fatzak Sat 23-Aug-08 14:05:55

I'm a real state after our trip to the Lakes last half term. I got so badly bitten I'm just scarred all down my calves now - good job we've not had much of a summer for weather shorter things smile Glad I noticed this thread as we are hoping to get off for a couple of nights tomorrow and I'd forgotten the midgie stuff again blush

Aefondkiss Sat 23-Aug-08 18:50:32

Pray for a good wind, then the midge won't be a problem.
I agree with Weegie, the nets are good, the ones that go over your head, it is much better to have them before you go, and hopefully not need them, there is also a net jacket that goes over the upper body, which looks pretty good.

Do tuck your trousers into your socks, I had 25 bites on my legs on a recent camping trip, the midges didn't bother me until the bites started getting itchy hours after being exposed.

If the wind drops you will know how bad it is and you won't be willing to get out of the tent... they tend to be worst early morning and early evening

anniebear Tue 26-Aug-08 19:59:50

anything that works well apart from the avon stuff? wont be able to get that in time

giggly Tue 26-Aug-08 20:17:59

Glenfinnan candles are excellent for keeping in the porch area of your tent. They are pricey but I swear we had no midges in the tent, July in the rain in Aviemore, surrounded by trees.
Sorry don't know where you can buy them down south, but if you see them snap them up!

Shoshe Tue 26-Aug-08 20:26:27

Just Pray that they aren't the size of Quints ones in Norway grin

Shoshe Tue 26-Aug-08 20:27:07

Just Pray that they aren't the size of Quints ones in Norway grin

PuppyMonkey Tue 26-Aug-08 20:28:59

One of those hats with nets was the ONLY thing that helped when we went to Mull. They are fuckers, midges. Drive you mad.....

anniebear Tue 26-Aug-08 20:30:49

Oh no!!!

will have to get some spray stuff I suppose!!! going Thurs or frid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now