Talk

Advanced search

WUHEI! QS has survived 5 nights WILD CAMPING with 2 kids and a teenager, I ROCK!

(23 Posts)
QuintessentialShadows Sun 10-Aug-08 16:52:23

I did it.

5 nights tenting in the wild.

Will be back after dinner.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 10-Aug-08 19:48:10

Right. I am sure you are all desperate to hear how it went.

The only gadget we brought with us was an solar powered mobile phone charger, and a coolbox which I had filled with cold foods and ice packs, one bone fire pot, Matches, a small spade wink and yes, that was it. Clothes, bread, an inflatable dinghy for the kids, plenty of buckets for picking wild blueberries, thermarests, a few wool blankets and our sleeping bags, oh, fishing rods, life vests and a knife. That was it.

We had 12 degrees centigrade in the day, it was colder at night. But we survived, and the kids had such fun.

I would get up in the morning, light the bonfire, fetch water in the river for coffee, make sandwiches for breakfast, and the kids would spill out one by one to sit on the picnic blanket for their breakfasts, and then dh. While I enjoyed a peaceful coffee, he would kit them out to go on the dinghy. They were totally entertaining themselves by the sea, throwing stones, picking shells, fishing for crab. We were fishing for cod and mackerell and coalfish from a nearby pier. (Have a pretty tall fishing story, grin too!) They were climbing trees, picking wild berries, searching for wood for the fire, and generally enjoyed themselves immensly. All meals were cooked on the bonfire.

I must say. My dh has seen me in a totally different light. After 15 years in London, he was reluctant to go wild camping. I refused a campsite. I think he thought I couldnt cope. Well I can. So there.

sarah293 Sun 10-Aug-08 19:51:18

Message withdrawn

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Aug-08 19:51:36

Wow, I am so impressed. That sounds totally fabulous. What a wonderful experience for your DC.

Cooking on a campfire envy

I have to say I am looking at our overfilled to the brim with stuff car now a little shame face-edly after your rather more minimalist list.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 10-Aug-08 19:52:45

QS how amazing

What is the fishy tale??

<<agog>>

QuintessentialShadows Sun 10-Aug-08 19:58:30

After the kids had gone to bed, I took my niece (13) who came with us to the pier for a spot of peaceful 10 pm fishing. The sea was clear and calm like oil. The sea gulls were circling not so far away. The mountains were half hidden in nighttime fog.

We threw the line out, it went 8 or so meters out, started realing in. And, I could feal I had something really strong fighting me. The fishing rod was like in a U bend. My niece shouted "I can see it, I can see it, it looks like it is a meter long!". Then Snap. Off it went, hook hard lure and all. And I was left with nothing but nylon..... angry
Of course, we stayed a few hours, vowed we would get our lure back! But no.

QuintessentialShadows Sun 10-Aug-08 19:58:53

Riven, we are in the North of Norway. grin

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Aug-08 20:03:37

oooh that's a good fishy tale. You might need to embellish it with some sort of fin, or giant tenticle or cavernous mouth filled with hideous teeth that appeared momentarily before your lure was taken.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 10-Aug-08 20:04:55

Crikey, must have been a big one.

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Aug-08 20:05:41

So the new tent was more to your liking then? Bigger and less green?

QuintessentialShadows Sun 10-Aug-08 20:15:24

THIS was our new tent, and I love it! grin

SG, where are you off to?

Slubberdegullion Sun 10-Aug-08 20:26:58

ooh good tent. Glad to hear the £30 pound stopper flourescent jobby has been upgraded grin

We are returning to the Lleyn Peninsula (N Wales) for 5 nights.

serin Mon 11-Aug-08 00:11:52

Do you get wolves and bears in Norway?

QuintessentialShadows Mon 11-Aug-08 00:14:03

Serin, yes, but not by the coast.
We have plenty of reindeer though. And sheep. grin

SG - have a great trip to Wales!

Overmydeadbody Mon 11-Aug-08 00:15:10

is there a lot of scope for wild camping in Norway then? I would love that.

QuintessentialShadows Mon 11-Aug-08 00:16:41

OMDB - There is. You just need to know where to go if you want to find a secluded beauty spot with lots of stuff to do.

Overmydeadbody Mon 11-Aug-08 00:18:39

wow. sounds fab. My dad and brother are off backpacking around scandanavia on tuesday and they'd rather avoid campsites. Can you recommend anywhere? they have no itinerary yet, just a map and a lot of enthusiasm so will be open to suggestions!

QuintessentialShadows Mon 11-Aug-08 00:20:44

They have to be extremely cautious in Sweden.
There are "road pirates". They pretend to have broken down, you stop to help, and get robbed. Also, wild camping not good in south sweden, due to robberies. Tents have been knifed.

Aside from that, I dont really know.

Overmydeadbody Mon 11-Aug-08 00:26:44

thank you Quint, that is good to know! I will pass it on.

sallystrawberry Mon 11-Aug-08 00:30:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QuintessentialShadows Mon 11-Aug-08 00:33:53

Not a problem to fit 5. The sleeping compartment was really roomy. Fitted a 13, 6 and 3 year old, and two grown ups just fine.

And yes, coffee from river water. Good old ground coffee. Not for cafetiers or coffee makers, but the kind you poor into boiled water, and leave on the side for a bit while you wait for the grut to sink down. Yummy!

sarah293 Mon 11-Aug-08 08:46:48

Message withdrawn

QuintessentialShadows Mon 11-Aug-08 10:04:15

Behind rocks. Dig a hole with a spade, poo, cover, put stone on top. wink tis great....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now