loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vango diablo 600

(14 Posts)
kidsx4 Wed 06-Aug-08 19:07:17

Has anyone got this tent? Would you recomend it? Tia

tiredemma Wed 06-Aug-08 19:08:29

I have the 900 model. Its a great tent, relatively easy to put up also- and MASSIVE!

DartmoorMama Wed 06-Aug-08 19:17:38

I used to have it, would not reccommend it. Its ok and super spacious but has its down sides.

I would say its ok to put up with 2 adults and a strong older child but not easy without the third person. Some help is needed to form the dome of the central tent. You need a fair bit of physical strength. I would say the bedroom compartments are a little claustrophobic in comparison to the size of the rest of the tent. I could never bear to have the door zipped shut.

We sold ours last year and plan to buy a tunnel tent along the lines of the outwell vermont for simplicity in putting up. The other consideration is that with the geodesic dome tents with wings you often need to book extra large pitches on campsites. YOu certainly do with caravan and camping club ones so you can't book online. whereas tunnel tents with the same floor space have a better layout but fit on a standard pitch.

I would say I was a little dissapointed by the quality of the vango too, not what it used to be. We lost a lot of tags and a few seams opened up and had broken poles in the first year of its life..

kidsx4 Wed 06-Aug-08 19:36:46

Just been looking at the kyham kansas does anyone know about them? tia

hockeypuck Wed 06-Aug-08 19:42:46

Lurks because was about to order the Diablo today before it went out of stock.

Troutpout Thu 07-Aug-08 09:26:06

Sorenlorensen had one of these 2 years ago...but got rid of it
Does it still have a bathtub groundsheet or is it sewn in now? She hated the gaps with the bathtub and the bugs that got in.
I thought it was very very nice and HUGE!! However this is what would now turn me off of it. You may end up getting charged for 2 pitches because of it's configuration.
A straight tunnel with a large living space is probably the way to go if you want a large tent

SorenLorensen Thu 07-Aug-08 09:33:17

No, I didn't - you're getting forgetful in your old age grin I ummed and ahhed about a Diablo but in the end got a Vango Colorado 800 (I don't think they make them anymore). Colorado had a bathtub groundsheet - hence the bugs (God, it was gappy wasn't it, Trout? I remember you looking at it after we'd pitched and going "ahhh...it's not so bad..." There was a foot gap all round!)

Diablo's have a sewn-in groundsheet, afaik - we looked at them when we bought the Monty. The only thing I didn't like about the Diablo was that it seemed much darker inside than the Monty - especially the bedrooms.

Troutpout Thu 07-Aug-08 10:07:19

and i talk shite yet again
grin

mascarpone Thu 07-Aug-08 10:26:57

Hi. We've got one.

Good points:
It's massive!
Sewn in groundsheet.
Lovely big porch area with removable groundsheet, which fits a camp kitchen, tables and chairs etc when you are out or if it's wet.
Plenty of room in bedrooms for double inflatable mattress/travel cot.
Nice big living area.
Withstood howling gale, thunderstorm and torrential rain!
Good ventilation in hot weather.

Bad points:
It's massive!
Quite hard to put up if you've only got one adult (ie my dh put it up and I looked after our dd). If there are two of you, it's much easier.
Geodesic design means you have to think carefully about how to pitch it.
Small pitching problem at the back entrance in that it is practically impossible to pitch without the inner and outer touching. This seems to be a problem that other people have encountered. Having said that, it didn't cause us a problem and we did have some massive downpours and one day where it rained steadily all day.

We took it to France this year and it did fit OK on both pitches but we did have large pitches. On balance, I think a tunnel design would have been better because you would then have more control over which way round you can pitch - ie at one site, the only way we could get it to fit on the pitch was so that everyone walking past could see straight into the tent!

It is a lovely tent - we only managed to get one of this size because it was massively reduced in the sale.

rookiemater Thu 07-Aug-08 10:46:19

Hi there we have one and pretty much echo what marscapone says. It is a faff to put up and it is absolutely huge. However once it is up there is lots of room and it seems sturdy and comfortable.

Dh wants to get a Khyam which he says is easier to put up. Therefore if anyone wants to buy ours, used only twice, then do let me know. Due to its massive size and weight only really of interest to anyone in Scotland.

Fennel Thu 07-Aug-08 15:41:45

We have the very similar Diablo 400 which I think is better because it's not as huge. So it can be put up easily by one person. And it isn't too big for a normal pitch. We find it huge for 5 of us (we don't take as much "furniture" as many campers).

DartmoorMama Thu 07-Aug-08 15:46:11

would also agree about the two layers of tent meeting. They often get wet patches inside.

By the way I have realised that some of the larger companies are now doing a sewn in version of the old fashioned detachable riser ground sheet and calling that bathtub as well as the older detachable ones. The diablo has sewn in bathtub in the main tent.

There are plus pints to the diablo, but I wouldn't buy another

Millimat Thu 07-Aug-08 15:46:33

We nearly bought this one, but because it needed 2 adults to put up, ended up buying the vango Yukon 600 which is just as much space but a tunnel design so takes half as much time to put up. Really pleased with it too x

NigellaTheOriginal Thu 07-Aug-08 15:53:11

i have a diabolo 400. i love it. big and sturdy and i can put it up with just the help of the DDs (10 and 12)
and it has a huge porch for storage and muddy shoes/stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now