Talk

Advanced search

Please hold my hand and give me strength: QuintessentialShadows to make another go of camping, this time it is IN THE WILD!

(18 Posts)
QuintessentialShadows Mon 04-Aug-08 23:48:19

So,
We depitched withing a few hours of getting to the campsite, last time.

We are back with a vengance, with a new tent, not the £40 polyester sheet tent from the bargain depot, we have This Tent

We are going to a much favoured spot of mine, 15 minutes down a steap foresty hill, to a grassy meadow by the beach. Very secluded. Totally remote.

Our kids are 6 and 3. My dh is dubious. He wants a camp site. I hate campsites. They are crowded. I want peace.

Please tell me it is going to be ok.
<fretful emoticon>

SorenLorensen Mon 04-Aug-08 23:51:51

You mean no toilets, no showers...no...anything? You're brave.

SorenLorensen Mon 04-Aug-08 23:52:46

I don't like crowded campsites either - I like peace...but not enough to forego a flushing toilet grin

QuintessentialShadows Mon 04-Aug-08 23:53:11

There is nothing. Just nature.
Bringing a fishing rod, and silver foil for baking our catch on the fire.

SorenLorensen Mon 04-Aug-08 23:56:41

Well, I wish you luck. It sounds idyllic - I think I'd find the reality a bit harder to cope with though.

SorenLorensen Mon 04-Aug-08 23:57:37

Are you allowed to just go and pitch your tenet any-old-where, btw? Who does the land belong to?

SorenLorensen Mon 04-Aug-08 23:57:58

Tenet...I do of course mean tent grin

shirleyghostman Mon 04-Aug-08 23:59:22

Good for you QS - I can't wait to do a bit of camping this year....

we have a coleman weathermaster tent and it is so easy to put up.

www.singersoutdoors.co.uk/pages/ximages/coleman_weathermaster_tent.jpg

go on tell us where you are going?

SSSandy2 Mon 04-Aug-08 23:59:30

well I did this once
Just once
It poured down all night, buckets of rain. Everything was soaked, even the food, the bedding, it stunk too sort of clammy and mouldy
I was not in a good mood. Not for me the joys of nature I think

Hope you enjoy it!

Uriel Tue 05-Aug-08 00:00:24

Sounds lovely. Don't forget your spade. wink

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Aug-08 00:07:39

I am in the north of Norway.
Yes, you can pitch any place you like, unless it is a field or somebodys garden. Landowners cant fence in land unless it is in use for agricultural or domestic purposes. There are laws to protect the leisurely rights of the people. grin Lots of nature.

SorenLorensen Tue 05-Aug-08 00:14:54

It does sound lovely - have fun!

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Aug-08 13:08:17

Thanks, I am nearly packed. Goodness how much you need for a few nights away. And I have never planned such a trip before. Not with children at least lol! Dry foods, cold foods, what do people eat? Drinks, as we wont have anywhere to buy any.

I have been camping out in the mountains before, in small 2 person tent when trekking, but this? Family fun in a tent by the sea?

DH has gone off to buy an inflatable dinghy, that is his way of helping, so now I have to pack their life vests too. ..
<groan>

I said to him "Oh, we will have plenty to do, with berry picking, fishing...." He said "yeah, but maybe we could plan some fun for them too!" Berry picking and fishing IS for them! They love it! He just doesnt realize it.

horace Tue 05-Aug-08 16:49:41

Sounds amazing. we did similar in friend's field a couple of weeks ago. I'm not a camping person either. weather was not great but we still had fun. We made a loo out of a bucket, cat litter, childs toilet seat and a beah tent. was a big hit.

Hope you have fun.

Mercy Tue 05-Aug-08 16:58:32

How long are you going for? (you brave woman)

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Aug-08 21:10:30

We are not going to make a loo. All we will need is a spade. Or a rock to put on top. wink We are pretty minimalist.

The plan was to go today, but as dh got back from India yesterday, he was too knackered. The car is packed, we are going tomorrow after breakfast. We are also taking my 13 year old niece. Should be fun!

QuintessentialShadows Tue 05-Aug-08 21:10:57

Oh, I dont know how long we are going for. Maybe friday, maybe sunday, we will see.

Aefondkiss Tue 05-Aug-08 22:31:35

Have a lovely time QS it sounds fab, I went wild camping last week, would've been lovely if it wasn't for the beastard midge... do you have a midge problem over there?

take skin so soft (avon), midge net things and some citronella candles, plus vinegar/lavender oil for the bites.

We had a canoe with us which was good fun, my dc played in the mild water on the sandy shore of a loch until midge o'clock struck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now