Talk

Advanced search

What heater for our tent?

(20 Posts)
LilRedWG Sun 03-Aug-08 10:36:10

Right - the site we are going to has electric hook up but request that electric heaters are not used. What are our alternatives?

LilRedWG Sun 03-Aug-08 10:38:30

Or should we just ignore them and use one? wink

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 03-Aug-08 22:25:12

hot water bottle, woolly hats and bedsocks grin

seeker Sun 03-Aug-08 22:35:46

Heater? Tent? Am I missing something? Who has heaters in their tents?

MindingMum Sun 03-Aug-08 22:58:22

We used an electric fan heater this time but only because I couldn't find my gas one at the last minute

seeker Sun 03-Aug-08 23:04:31

Seriously? People have heaters in their tents?

We've moved the fire pot into our tipi occasionally - but only in the depths of winter!

PeaMcLean Sun 03-Aug-08 23:07:28

You have a tipi? How is that not more weird than having a heater in your tent?

grin

Do they not want you to use it due to voltage? You don't want to blow the system. Can't you just wear a coat???

seeker Sun 03-Aug-08 23:08:29

Tipis are the Next Big Thing in tents - you mark my words!

PeaMcLean Sun 03-Aug-08 23:10:01

grin

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 03-Aug-08 23:11:34

If you want electric heaters in your accomodation then camping ain't for you.

Said she who woke up to find snow on the tent some years back while hitching and camping her way around scotland in March.

Do people really expect to use HEATERS in TENTS these days - is that the Glamping thing I keep hearing about?

How absolutely shocking on an environmentally unfriendly level - unless your tent is insulated to the same levels as your house?

PeaMcLean Sun 03-Aug-08 23:22:04

I don't know if you can get a gas heater but I always get edgy about using gas inside the tent. Bit too paranoid for that.

LilRedWG Mon 04-Aug-08 09:23:05

Wow - I'm not talking having it on 24/7, just to warm up the tent when our DD goes to bed as she can't get to sleep if it's cold.

I'll crawl back in my hole now.... wink

Heartmum2Jamie Mon 04-Aug-08 10:45:30

Hmmmm, I have yet to go camping as I am waiting on my EHU so that I can run a hearter if needs be......because I have a 4 year old son with a heart condition, he feels the cold badly. So, does this mean camping is not for us?? I have to admit to being quite shocked at some of the replies on here, what I wouldn't give to be able to just "put a coat on him".

For those of you who have used heaters, what kind would you suggest? I have on oil filled portable rad, but it is very heavy. Should I get a fan heater or gas (I think I would be worried about gas.) Any other HELPFUL suggestions?

flowerfairy Mon 04-Aug-08 11:04:50

FF pushes head tentaviely out of tent door. We have a gas heater, quite small. think it is a camping gaz one, not sure. It cuts out apparently if knocked over. We used ours for short bursts at night earlier this year. And it did make the tent surprisingly warm.
FF scurries back in tent and snuggles inside sleeping bag.

LilRedWG Mon 04-Aug-08 12:42:16

HeartmumtoJamie - I asked some very helpful camping friends on Facebook and their recommendation was one of these - a CampingGaz Blue Cat. I may well get one and stuff those who don't think I'm a proper camper. I hope it's of some use to you and your son.

LilRedWG Mon 04-Aug-08 12:42:33

Thanks FF.

MindingMum Mon 04-Aug-08 13:18:11

Our gas heater is from B&M (12.99), just takes a basic small gas cannister but gives out loads of heat. We just run it for 15 mins while the DC are getting ready for bed and again for 5 mins before we go.

Surfette Mon 04-Aug-08 13:58:35

We have one of these: http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/5039150201291. THey use a single gas canister and seem to work well - kept us warm in a bell tent which is no mean feat given the amount of air to be heated. Obviously you need to make sure you don't put anything that might melt or burn too close to the grill but they don't knock over easily as you can see from the shape.

We also have an electric heater (looks a bit like this one - maybe ours is an earlier version http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4159074/c1/1%7Ccategoryroot%7CHome+and+furniture% 7C10197552/c2/2%7Ccat_10197552%7CHeaters+and+coolers%7C10197884/c_3/3%7Ccat10197884%7CFan+heaters% 7C10197898.htm) which we got from Argos and use on the occasions we have EHU. It is thermostatically controlled and warms up better then the gas one but obviously if you are not allowed to use electric heaters where you are going, the gas one would be better.

Can't say I have ever felt much shame about using them but I do appreciate you have to be aware of the environmental costs of doing so. In that way, a gas heater is probably better as there is less temptation to leave it on all night as I, at least, wouldn't feel safe doing so.

Heartmum2Jamie Mon 04-Aug-08 15:15:01

Thanks FF, LilRedWG, MM & Surfette, I appreciate the advice. I will look into each of these idea's. I certainly wouldn't want to run heat all night, but would want something that gave pretty much instant heat so I can warm him quickly if he wakes up cold. I perhaps should have mentioned we would be looking at heating a wynnster eagle 6 tunnel tent if need be.

flowerfairy Mon 04-Aug-08 16:04:08

Ours is that one that Lilredwig was shown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now