Talk

Advanced search

Who tows a trailer? Please tell a towing novice she's going to be fine!

(8 Posts)
Pixel Fri 01-Aug-08 20:00:21

Got the tow-bar, borrowed the trailer from BIL and we're off on sunday. I've only had a quick go round the block which was ok but I don't enjoy long-distance driving at the best of times. It's all down to me as dh doesn't drive.
So.....any tips please?
(and by tips I mean reassurance of coursesmile)

PortBlacksandResident Fri 01-Aug-08 20:12:03

You will be fine.

I pull a caravan (only 12ft - not v big) and it's fine, really.

Make sure your indicator / break lights work with it and you'll be away. The beeping is really quite reassuring as we don't have it normally.

Wallace Fri 01-Aug-08 20:26:05

If you passed your test in the last few years you need to take a trailer test before you can tow a trailer!

If this doesn't apply, you'll be fine I had to drive a camper van recently and I was terrified, but it was really easy

Pixel Fri 01-Aug-08 20:32:19

Thankyou smile.
I checked my licence and it has a little picture of a car and trailer on the back of it. Also I've had a clean licence for 20 years so am assuming all that is fine.
It's only a diddy trailer, nothing like a caravan! I'm being a wimp aren't I? blush.

Wallace Fri 01-Aug-08 20:41:53

I think you'll be fine after 20 years grin

Practice reversing first wink

You aren't being a wimp, I wouldn't like to tow a trailer either - I'm lucky to have the excuse that I passed my test too recently!

PortBlacksandResident Fri 01-Aug-08 20:43:18

Not at all - it is a different way of driving but no harder. It doesn't take long to get your head round it.

<glad i'm so old i don't have to take an extra test>

PortBlacksandResident Fri 01-Aug-08 20:44:14

Also - weird reversing i.e. it's the 'wrong' way to turn iyswim.

Pixel Fri 01-Aug-08 20:54:00

I intend to avoid reversing with a trailer at all costs. Dh can make himself useful by unhitching it and moving it out of harm's way. Will keep him fit wink.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now