Talk

Advanced search

I'm planning on going to the Lone Parents camping thing next year, I have NO camping stuff at all..........

(9 Posts)
FAQ Wed 30-Jul-08 20:27:19

and will be starting to save very soon towards getting what I need.

However, I don't know (apart from the obvious things like a tent grin) what I need - or what sort of thing to look for. Therefore have no idea what sort of £££'s I'm looking to need to save.

I'll need a tent to sleep 5, and it needs to be fairly lightweight(ish) as I don't drive so when it gets used it will be taken via public transport.......

So............what do I need, and where do I get it?

Kbear Wed 30-Jul-08 20:29:55

I got a Nevada 5 from Argos - it was our first tent - and it fitted into a holdall sized bag and was okay to carry. You are a brave woman camping using public transport - what about pots and pans and bedding etc, lights?

FAQ Wed 30-Jul-08 20:34:28

I have an ENORMOUS back-pack (proper camping type one) that I used to take a years worth of stuff abroad with me. It's the same as my DB's - who camps regularly (but I haven't spoken to him for nearly 5 months and have no intention of doing so any time soon). Not phased by carrying all the extra stuff - DS1 will be 8 in September - so he's getting to an age where he can help to carry stuff too smile

Kbear Wed 30-Jul-08 20:38:51

What will you use to cook on? One of those one ring things with small gas cylinder prob best bet. Couple of pans with folding handles, couple of mugs. A lamp/torch thing, bed rolls and sleeping bags, your jumpers/fleeces can double up as layers over your sleeping bag for chilly nights, bag of food/coffee etc. You're all set!

Where are you going to camp?

Kbear Wed 30-Jul-08 20:40:01

Wails - I wanna come toooo - I have a trailer full of camping stuff and a DH who has been put off camping for LIFE by horrendous experiences last summer, ie freezing and wet in August!!

Looks like it's me and the kids from now on.

FAQ Wed 30-Jul-08 20:41:09

Kbear - don't know what I'll use to cook on -haven't been camping since I was about 11 (with the guides) and before that Iwas about 7 (with my parents). That's why I started the thread grin wink

Don't know where the Lone Parents thing is going to be yet - but I hope to try and get the stuff plenty of time before it so I can do a few "practice" runs closer to home first.

Kbear Wed 30-Jul-08 21:08:24

Maybe pal up with someone else who already has a cooker and offer to bring something else to share with them. Don't forget a picnic rug to sit on, something that has waterproof backing.

FAQ Wed 30-Jul-08 21:16:30

nah I want to go the whole hog and buy everything I need so I can take the DS's camping on long weekends and stuff grin

Mentioned that we "might" go camping next year last week and they've not shut up about it since LOL.

peasoup Thu 31-Jul-08 19:03:23

What is this lone parents camping thing? Sounds like something my brother, a recent lone parent, would be up for. Or is it just for the LAYDEEZ.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now