Talk

Advanced search

so what do u do if u can't fit everything in the car

(48 Posts)
babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 14:39:26

going camping on sunday and am beginning to wonder how we r going to fit everything in 2 adults a bbay and 2 dogs into a saab convertible hmm with a huge tent and everything else which goes with camping any1 got any tips on how to fir everything in and what do u do if u really can't fit everything in lolgrin

Blu Thu 17-Jul-08 14:47:51

Weed out your stuff to genuine essentials. Excess stuff is a huge nuisance, anyway. Why is your tent s big for two adults and a baby?

What is your packing list as it stands?

Borrow a trailer?

forevercleaning Thu 17-Jul-08 14:48:42

cycle along behind it??!!! grin

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 14:49:44

make dh run behind
hire a bigger car

or jsut leave some stuff behind
(travelling with the roof up means more room in the boot)

palaver Thu 17-Jul-08 14:49:52

hire a bigger car - not much boot space in a convertible and nowhere to put a roof box smile

zippitippitoes Thu 17-Jul-08 14:51:44

get a small tent is probably the cheapest solution

OverMyDeadBody Thu 17-Jul-08 14:56:45

take less stuff

buy a smaller tent

leave the dogs behind?

Leave DH behind?

Leave the ba... oh no, never mind.

forevercleaning Thu 17-Jul-08 14:56:51

leave dh behind with tent and book into hotel?

MehgaLegs Thu 17-Jul-08 14:58:50

Trailer. We have a mul;tipla which we fill on an ordianry outing so for camping we trailer it.

Was about to post get a roof box but luckily reread the OP and saw the Convertible bit.grin

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 14:59:31

stay home yourself - send dh on his own with the kids while you have a lovely relaxing time at home wink

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:00:25

we got a big tetn so we can stand up in it and have room to move if it rains it is a kyham touere 600 and got it second hand for a good price also wanted seperate bedrooms for 5 nights me and my ma going am thinking it is a bit too big now but never mind grin
list what i can think off top of my head
tent
buggy 2 airbeds
sleeping bag
single qquilt
2 chairs
table
wash up bowl
2 plates
2 cups cutlery
dog bowl
light
electric box
heater
clothes bare minium hoping to wash and dry overnigt
laptop

zippitippitoes Thu 17-Jul-08 15:04:15

laptop heater electric box what are all they for

wash and dry clothes overnight?

i think that is optimistic are you camping in the UK

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:07:44

yeh i know lol the laptop so we can watch the tele at night or a dvd if it is wet
electric box to run mini 4l frige just for some milk and butter heate rcos my ma insists on having one i wouldn't tho

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 15:08:30

better to wear dirty clothes than try and dry them overnight and have to put them on wet in the morning.

leave heater, laptop and e' box at home

no cooking things?

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 15:09:26

you are taking a television^?
^dvds
?
and a fridge?

no wonder your car is full hmm

take a book and a pack of cards

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:11:53

no i am not taking a tele dvds r already in the car to watch on laptop laptop is hardly big is it oh yeh a one ring cooker thing grin

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:13:15

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2608273/Trail/searchtext%3EMINI+FRIDGE.htm thats the fridge only small

zippitippitoes Thu 17-Jul-08 15:16:24

well hire a bigger car if you must take all these things or take two cars

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:19:49

can't afford to hire a car and haven't got 2 cars just wondered if any1 had any tps on like how to squash things down or anything

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:20:33

must admit if i had the money i would buy a smaller tent but one which u can still stand up in

lizziemun Thu 17-Jul-08 15:32:27

The whole point of camping is going back to nature. You don't need heater, laptop and electric box at home and get a ice box with some ice pack's.

FWIW when i was a child we went camping for 2 weeks in a hillman Imp (this). This was with 2 adults and 3 children.

Slubberdegullion Thu 17-Jul-08 15:39:46

If you need to prune I think you can go without the

single quilt
2 chairs
table
electric box
heater
laptop

can you ditch the buggy too? they take up shed loads of room.

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:40:43

if i had my way i wouldn't be taking it i wouldn't have electric full stop but my ma wants it i really don't want it but she said she won't go without electric

MrsBadger Thu 17-Jul-08 15:42:15

aha we have the solution

leave electric box, fridge and mother at home

lots of space in car now grin

babyjjbaby Thu 17-Jul-08 15:43:44

single quilt got to go cos my ma needs a quilt i could cut back on one chair ma needs a chair cos she has a bad back and rods in her back table i'll see what she says lolgrin electric box i don't want electrice but she does laptop i would be happy to leave but she wants it

i just want to go basic camping wished she'd understand this grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now