Talk

Advanced search

Any recommendations for campsites accessible by public transport - Northern England, West Mids, Wales?

(15 Posts)
mazzystar Wed 16-Jul-08 19:03:30

Am in Liverpool and don't drive but want to take the dcs midweek camping with mates - one will drive and take all the gear.....

Thanks

Lucycat Wed 16-Jul-08 20:42:07

Have you thought about Shell Island near Harlech - you can get the train to LLanbedr but then again that is still 2.5 miles away from the site.....

I'll keep thinking

PeaMcLean Wed 16-Jul-08 21:15:55

Can you get a taxi from the station?

or can mate dump gear at site, put up tents and get wine chilled for you then collect you from station??? That would be nice!

If even the first is likely, that extends your choice enormously. What other criteria do you have?

mazzystar Wed 16-Jul-08 21:48:38

Thanks for replying.

Happy to taxi from station - will have 1 or 2 kids with me though so the lift idea wouldn't work, unless some more folk come along.

Shell Island's a bit full on for my liking - I know you can get away from it a bit in the dunes, but I'd prefer something smaller. Don't mind quite basic, running water and loos will do.

PeaMcLean Wed 16-Jul-08 21:57:03

Wow, just had a look at Shell Island website. Looks stunning! but if you prefer smaller, hope someone comes along with something soon. smile

OverMyDeadBody Wed 16-Jul-08 21:58:30

I have nothing to recommend but am lurking as I'm quite interested too!

mazzystar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:04:58

Shell Island is a gorgeous spot - but there is a really nasty nasty pub on site and it can get quite lairy. I have only been at weekends though, so maybe midweek it would be mellower.

I have seen some places in the High Peak - near Hope and Edale that seem achieveable - anyone been there I wonder?

PeaMcLean Wed 16-Jul-08 22:06:57

Just shows you how misleading websites can be. Lairy pub on site is not what I'd want.

mazzystar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:10:06

Actually - whole pub end of campsite can be a little bit lairy.
Sand-dunes are gorgeous though it would be a long buggy push.....

Lucycat Wed 16-Jul-08 22:10:23

How about Carrog in Llangollen?

or is that taking public transport to the extreme? grin

or there is Waterside in Edale-easy train ride from Manchester.

alienbump Wed 16-Jul-08 22:12:13

As soon as we have a free weekend we're heading here:

www.fishergroundcampsite.co.uk/index.htm

If you go to the additional info section it gives details of the rail link.

helsy Wed 16-Jul-08 22:14:37

I second fisherground. Didn't know how close it was to public transport though - and you can't book but if you call they'll tell you your chances of getting a pitch (they did with us, anyway). And it's close to lovely lovely Wastwater.

mazzystar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:20:26

They both look really great - thankyou
Can't seem to find the train info for fisherground tho' [thick emoticon]
Do you think they would maek a reservation exception if I said I was coming by train with two under fours?

alienbump Wed 16-Jul-08 22:27:13

sorry - should have said look under other services, it gives details of their link to the main rail line, via miniature railway!

mazzystar Wed 16-Jul-08 22:30:02

thanks - have just found it - that would be hilarious

so steam trains or miniature trains?

ds would be beyond thrilled with either!

marvellous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now