Talk

Advanced search

Campsites near a sandy beach in Somerset ????

(16 Posts)
Katsh Wed 09-Jul-08 13:24:30

We have to go to Somerset in August and I am looking for a site near a sandy beach for us to take our trailer tent to. I've seen a few websites but as I don't know the area at all I'd love some recommendations. We like fairly quiet sites with good kids play areas, clean wash blocks and close to beaches.
Thanks

Katsh Wed 09-Jul-08 21:04:12

bump

Katsh Thu 10-Jul-08 10:07:23

where are all the camping gurus? Please ... anyone got any thoughts smile .....

mummypud Thu 10-Jul-08 10:13:45

a fantastic on eis holiday resort unity , it has great clean facilites and is quiet but has everything you need a short walk away , fair , amusements etc , the beach is a little walk but its a very pleasent walk and ther are some lovely clubs etc . the touring area is really nice and it is a very well maintained site .

mummypud Thu 10-Jul-08 10:14:15

it is near weston supa mere by the way

Katsh Fri 11-Jul-08 13:15:33

thanks

OrmIrian Fri 11-Jul-08 13:18:26

I hate to say this but there aren't any really sandy beaches in Somerset. They tend to be muddy with a cover of sand or shingly. If I were you I'd forget the sand thing and find a site near Watchet or Minehead. Interesting fossily beaches and lovely countrysi. Or go a bit further to North Devon - Porlock maybe.

Katsh Fri 11-Jul-08 18:08:04

Thank you - I had been starting to suspect that to be the case! ARe the beaches at Minehead and Watchet sandy or just good and interesting?

babyjjbaby Sun 13-Jul-08 21:18:05

theres warren farm nice and close to the beach there is northam farm which is wonderful very close to the beach unity resort wouldn't go unless u have got a lot of money and don't mind big and busy diamond farm nice quiet and cheap a bit further away from the beach but quieter and only takes 15 mins slow walk to the beach if u have gto babys i would recommend northam farm as they have wonderful baby rooms hth [grins]

Katsh Mon 14-Jul-08 10:24:44

Thanks very much. Have checked those out. Northam Farm and Diamond Farm have availability. Which do you think is nicer ? ( 3 kids 8, 6, and 9 mths and dog! )

babyjjbaby Mon 14-Jul-08 10:33:07

well northam farm have got baby rooms but it is bigger and noiser also there is geese and wild rabbits there so sepends if u trust ya dog lol northam farm is closer to the beach and the busy end of brean by the fair and stuff so depends what u like if u want the big busy end of brean and the fair and stuff then northma farm but if u want a quiet holiday and just the beach then diamond farm hth

Katsh Mon 14-Jul-08 11:56:20

Thanks. I wouldn't trust the dog with rabbits so I think it sounds like Diamond Farm is the one to go for. Thanks a lot for your help.

babyjjbaby Mon 14-Jul-08 12:18:45

thats ok if u need electric u would have to book if not u just turn up and also if u r in a tent with no electric u can be on the park field so the kids can just go to the park and u watc them

OrmIrian Mon 14-Jul-08 13:28:08

Just interesting really.

Lots of fossils and mud. But the countryside is lovely. Quite near Exmoor too.

Pixel Fri 18-Jul-08 22:56:47

Porlock beach is very stoney but is only about 10 mins drive from Minehead which does have sand. If I've done it right there is a pic in my profile.

Katsh Tue 22-Jul-08 21:07:46

Thanks. You have done it right and it looks great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now