Talk

Advanced search

Would anyone be interested in renting a Campervan?

(16 Posts)
Surfermum Sun 06-Jul-08 16:23:20

Dh has just converted a campervan which we will be looking to sell - but I was wondering whether instead we could rent it out weekly, for the weekend or even the night.

We live on the South Coast and very close to both the New Forest and the Purbecks, and it's not that far to Somerset.

I could kit it out with everything like plates, cutlery, etc and just get people to bring bedding/sleeping bags.

It sleeps 2 so we could put our weekend tent with it that sleeps 4, or maybe get a pop up tent to go with it - which was our plan for taking dd and dsd away.

Any thoughts? More to the point any interest? grin.

Crunchie Sun 06-Jul-08 19:23:26

there are companies who do tjis with old VW have a look around and you will see. With a well designed website, some marketing, a van full of stuff could be good. get a list of all the local campsites. talk to them about £ andmaybe they could help with links from ther sites

Surfermum Sun 06-Jul-08 22:04:44

Thanks Crunchie. I've been having a look at some of them today.

Skribble Sat 12-Jul-08 10:45:37

You will have to check out the implications for you insurance.

Astrophe Sat 12-Jul-08 10:50:50

Get one of these tents/awnings to go next to it. Pricey, but really easy to put up, so your clients wont break it.

Guadalupe Sat 12-Jul-08 10:52:34

we looked at renting recently, some of the VW ones were up to £800 week in high season shock

MmeLindt Sat 12-Jul-08 11:00:17

We looked into this recently and the prices in Germany were very high, I expect as Guadaloupe says that you could get quite a good rent in UK too.

What occured to me was that a lot of them would only hire out for a week or a weekend, it would have been good to have got one midweek while the DCs were not at school.

You will have to reckon in the damages that will occur, some people are very careful but some are not.

Plus increased insurance and more wear and tear of the actual van.

I would go for the awning option rather than an extra tent.

Guadalupe Sat 12-Jul-08 11:23:07

I saw a few that did midweek rental but not in peak season.

Flamesparrow Sat 12-Jul-08 11:24:53

YES

teslagirl Sat 12-Jul-08 14:54:52

In the current petrol price 'crisis' I'd say the potential sale price will fall weekly!I guess you'd have to do your maths: what you could sell it for versus the profit after rental (which of course could be very variable but which will depend on how much you charge to rent it out!). Bear in mind the uptake of renting could fall due to people not wanting to shell out on petrol/diesel BUT they say an awful lot more folk will be holidaying in the UK this year....You'd also of course be able to get the use of it for yourselves if you chose.

I must say I was of the impression that a lot of the companies who you find on google who rent out campers are in fact agents for private owners to rent their own van out, I presume they'd be able to sort you out with the insurance if you decided to go down that route- though of course they'd take their percentage cut of all profits!

I'd go the awning option, too, rather than a separate tent.

Good luck!

oops Sat 12-Jul-08 21:25:45

Message withdrawn

morethanyoubargainfor Sat 12-Jul-08 21:41:38

We hired one of the old VW onesl last year for our DS birthday, he was 5 and is absolutely mad about the. We had a great time in it and it was decorated with Balloons etc, we went out for the day then when it started to get late we went on a mystery tour picking up all his friends adn ended up in the local park where we put the double bed down in the back and the children sat in there for thier picnic tea. the day was finished off with fireworks and a great time was had by all. He still talks about that birthday. We absolutely enjoyed ourselves and would highly reccommend it to anyone.

I think you would have to look at the wider market like childrens birthdays, weddings etc but i think it could work. we would defo do it again, and hiring one for the day to do the coast would be fab, IMHO.

Good luck

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Sat 12-Jul-08 21:43:00

We've rented campervans before. Cost a blinking fortune! (but cheaper than owning one).

chatname Tue 15-Jul-08 10:46:14

We live in the New Forest and might be interested in hiring a campervan for the August Bank Holiday weekend (as I am wimping out of the idea of camping). Am wondering how much of a "blinking fortune" it would cost though - would it be more expensive than a B and B?

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 15-Jul-08 13:42:41

yes it would be. I would say around £500 for a three day weekend. HTH

Surfermum Wed 16-Jul-08 21:38:41

Thank you, this is all really helpful. We've actually sold the first van (but have 3 others!) and had great feedback from the couple who bought it and used it that night!

We're currently trying to find someone who will insure one for us to rent, but maybe doing it through one of those "agents" might be easier.

An awning is a great idea, when I think about it much more sensible than a tent.

Chatname we're in Poole, so not far from you. I will keep you in mind if we can get the insurance sorted. And Flame - get in touch!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now