Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

camp site with dinghy sailing for children close by?

(12 Posts)
jema Thu 20-Jan-05 23:22:30

would like to do holiday for summer , camping , plus near by lake / estuary / slow flowing river
some where safe to lauch small kiddy dinghy
any ideas

Frizbe Thu 20-Jan-05 23:24:10

carsington water-Derbyshire
Rutland Water - Rutland
The lake district?

Surfermum Fri 21-Jan-05 00:10:31

Somewhere near the Cotswold Water Park?

Helford River? Helford Passage?

redsky Fri 21-Jan-05 00:42:23

Poole harbour - Rockley Park if you are into Butlinsish stuff.

happymerryberries Fri 21-Jan-05 07:34:49

There are lots of campsites on lakes in France. have a look in the Canvas and Keycamp brochures to give you some ideas

roisin Fri 21-Jan-05 07:51:09

There's a campsite at the NW corner of Coniston, can't remember what it's called with access to the Lake. There's also one NW (but more W) of Windermere - I think that one is run the the National Park, or National Trust or something like that.

Anteater Sat 22-Jan-05 15:47:36

Park foot at Ullswater has direct lake access.

amynnixmum Sat 22-Jan-05 15:51:56

My sis went somewhere really nice in France last year that had lovely lakes and countryside. Site offered caravans, chalets and camping. If you are interested I'll email her and find out what it was called.

lemonice Sat 22-Jan-05 16:38:46

Lake Bala in north wales has a campsite beside the lake with a good sized shallow area with shingly bottom to push out dinghy
(the lake itself is large)

doggiewalker Sun 23-Jan-05 14:52:22

I also like to do this jema, several of us mums dump the dh's for a week in the summer hols and go off with the kids.

Lake Bala is good, quite shallow by the side of the campsite.

Also Keswick (Lake District) has a nice Camping and Caravanning Site at the side of Derwentwater but can get very busy and gets booked up early - also a risk of being cancelled due to flooding which happened to us last year. Lovely there though.

jema Mon 24-Jan-05 14:51:14

thank you all,
love the idea of north wales / lakes, will research further
anyone know anything in southern england that might also suit for a 2 day stop (wouldnt be so far to drive )
thx j

Anteater Mon 24-Jan-05 15:45:45

should add that Ullswater, while a fantastic lake to sail on, gets very deep very quickly opposite this site. Would also say that sites next to the water CAN have problems with midges in the summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now