Camping in france

(17 Posts)
sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 22:21:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 22:24:45

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 22:51:14

Hi, sally!

Once you've got the hang of driving on the wrong side of the road, 2½ hrs is not that much different from 30 mins - but watch it if you stop for petrol or a loo break, that's when you are most likely to set off on the wrong side.

However if you are thinking you'd rather be near the sea there are some nice sites in N France - which ferry port are you using?

sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 22:54:34

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 23:03:51

The only one we have stayed at is Camping de la Vallee at Houlgate in Normandy - we have stayed both with Eurocamp and our own tent. It's a really nice site, about a mile from the town beach which is walkable at a pinch.

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 23:04:47

It's a very short drive from Caen btw.

sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 23:07:42

Tortington Sun 16-Jan-05 23:15:45

sally you will be ok! we all have to try things for the first time - i was petrified the first time - as dh cant drive its all up to me - roundabouts are the trickiest as your looking to the left and going anti clockwise!! - apart from that its a piece of piss honest

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 23:22:01

Hi custy!

sally, I'm pretty sure you save loads, although I can't remember exactly (last time we went there was about 10 years ago) and I couldn't find the campsite's own website if there is one, but in any case a pre-erected tent might be hard to hire just for 3 days. If you're looking to go high season you'd probably save the most.

sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 23:27:32

sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 23:29:29

Tortington Sun 16-Jan-05 23:33:16

are you going ferry or chunnel? you could do the uk driving and let him shit himself on the french roads - sally its not hard - i promise you - the french roads are fab. the motorways are superfab, the traffic is nothing like here - in fact you will be more traumatised than your dh will be if you do the driving this side and he does the driving the other - besides 2.5 hours isnt a lot of driving - even if your not used to it. buy some fab tapes or cd's for the car - we like to put together our own collection for travelling and make the kids sit through the misery of the rocking 80's. with an eminem and limp bizkit thrown in only cos we like it.

get the kids easy to chuck into the back food, water and colouring books, etch a scetch or similar, reading books, junior crossword puzzles - or our faves.....gameboy, personal stereo and extra batteries.

JanH Sun 16-Jan-05 23:42:11

Which sites have the pre-erected tents for short breaks? Which ferry ports are they near? For most of the N French towns motorways won't come into it, if that helps.

Also, when you first leave the ferry, you are in a long line of GB cars which are all on the wrong side so you don't have to think too much about where to go!

The cheapest ferries if you're booking early are Speedferries but they are a long drive for you. Portsmouth-Caen is nearer but much dearer.

sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 23:44:35

sallystrawberry Sun 16-Jan-05 23:49:15

JanH Mon 17-Jan-05 00:02:54

Well "from" £23 per person presumably means x 6, since the tent will hold 6, so that's minimum £138 for 3 nights, + £30 if you choose the site. As I said I really can't remember how much it cost with our own tent but I would guess it would be quite a bit less than £168 for 3 nights - if the cost is a big factor it would be worth finding out!

sallystrawberry Mon 17-Jan-05 00:16:59

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: