Talk

Advanced search

ok-it *IS* going to be raining this weekend...

(47 Posts)
filchthemildmanneredjanitor Wed 18-Jul-07 07:20:04

and it is going to be wet under foot and muddy.

what should i know about bad weather camping?
we all have wellies and the boys have waterproof trousers.

what special precautions do i need to take to prevent the tent blowing away at night? am worried about the soft wet earth not providing any grip for the tent pegs.

anything else i should know?

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Wed 18-Jul-07 08:07:29

ernest Wed 18-Jul-07 10:38:46

bump for you (and me tbh, going on Monday!)

Lucycat Wed 18-Jul-07 11:20:04

Take lots more pegs and double peg if necessary ( put 2 pegs crossing each other) check your guys last thing at night, they do work loose during the day.

Obviously don't camp at the bottom of the hill next to a river - equally don't camp right on the top of an exposed hill.

If it is windy then you can use your car as an extra windbreak - essential if you are ever thinking of going to Shell Island

lots of card games / colouring books and have fun!

CountessDracula Wed 18-Jul-07 11:22:49

could you not stay at home???

I remember one awful camping trip as a child with horizontal slashing rain in Wales. Took hours to get tent up in virtual hurricane. No-one could sleep because of howling wind and pouring rain

Then next morning my mum made bacon and eggs, I took it in to my father who was in bed and he was listening to the radio, it was saying "and in West Wales the wind will be increasing to force 9, the rain will intensify"(or some such thing)

I tripped over the radio and a fried egg landed on my Dad's head. He leapt up and shouted "that's it, we're going home!"

and we did

thank god

ernest Wed 18-Jul-07 12:05:35

well, we can't cos we've booked ferry tickets, and boked and paid for camp site and have mucho family visiting to do. Is is really that shit in UK????It's bloody hot here

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Wed 18-Jul-07 12:12:57

ernest-it's terrible!!!

no can't ancel. are going with a load of friends and have spent mucho money on festival tickets.

ernest Wed 18-Jul-07 12:23:29

great, so we get soaked for a fortnight and run ourselves ragged visiting all and sundry. At least you have a fun festival. I have suggested bring water proofs and dh thinks I'm a looney fuss pants and is refusing to consider my rediculous, ott suggestion

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Wed 18-Jul-07 12:30:34

ernest you MUST bring waterproofs. it has rained heavily every day for about a month now. seriously.

we have had floods fgs!!!

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Wed 18-Jul-07 12:30:57

where are you?

CountessDracula Wed 18-Jul-07 12:31:14

ernest bring them

And find a local hotel online in case is really awful!!!

where are you going?

Lucycat Wed 18-Jul-07 12:31:43

We aren't going until the 29th when the dd's have finished school

and I'll take this weather now thank you!

ernest Wed 18-Jul-07 13:27:50

well that's half the prob, we only got waterproofs for ds1 & 2, our car in garage (omg) so I can't get out so asked dh to buy them for ds 3 and he declares me insane and refused . we're in Switzerland, very hot, 36 ish, been at open air pool all week, now sruck at home as car at garage (sat nav on blink, would feel happier if engine dropped off as they could fix that, not sure I'll have much joy with them repairing it in time, not the end of the world, but we're travelling to Dorset/Hampshire border, and I remember driving round 50 identical roundabouts, so would prefer sat nav.

Tell me dorset/hampshire is a sunny pocket. Please.

maybe a miracle will happen, they'll fix car and I'll be able to dive out and get waterproofs. Do we need to or just kids? I'm a novice camper btw, this will only be my 2nd trip (with kids and since 1980)!

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Wed 18-Jul-07 18:25:19

so -busty getting clothes together. have decided to do everyone a wardrobe consisting of jogging botoms/ t-shirts/sweatshirts.

never been to a festival before. if i decided to go and have a dance would i be looked at funny for being in a fleece?

dustystar Wed 18-Jul-07 19:08:27

Where are you going to ernest? i live around that area so may be able to help you.

Waswondering Wed 18-Jul-07 21:01:04

Sigh.

Yes, we're camping this weekend too and dh is becoming increasingly gleeful about the poor forecast.

I saw lovely high healed wellies the other week and am more and more tempted to get them . . .

Waswondering Wed 18-Jul-07 21:20:40

Seen this?

marymoocow Wed 18-Jul-07 21:34:53

Thanks for that . Only a 60% chance of being flooded before we get to where we are going on Saturday then.
Strangely enough the bbc weather says it is going to be lovely.
Think i'll stick with them

Waswondering Wed 18-Jul-07 21:45:41

This is ours - may take waterproofs to pitch tent and hope we dry off in the sunshine by early week.

We have a 2 bedroom vis a vis tent and had planned to put dd in her travel cot in the middle, but are now seriously thinking about putting her in a bedroom with ds as it may be less cold!!

Aaargggghhh!!!

ernest Thu 19-Jul-07 07:54:12

ooh hello dustystar, we're going to be near Ringwood, do you know that?

morningpaper Thu 19-Jul-07 08:05:10

It's REALLY REALLY wet

It's not just showery

It's HEAVY RAIN and then a bit of sun

It's HIDEOUS

ernest Thu 19-Jul-07 08:22:31

noooooooo. shshshshshshshshshs where are you mp? It's baking here and only 9.20! Why am I coming to blardy UK, remind me!

morningpaper Thu 19-Jul-07 08:55:34

I'm in Somerset

Don't worry it's thousands of miles away from Dorset

dustystar Thu 19-Jul-07 10:55:45

Yes I know Ringwood Ernest - are you staying on one of the Forestry commision sites?

FennelpolyjuicedintoMandrake Thu 19-Jul-07 10:58:10

It's warm and sunny this week in Devon (at last). Just along the coast from Dorset, so you might be OK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now