Talk

Advanced search

Summer 2007 - what do your young dc wear to sleep in a tent?

(12 Posts)
Waswondering Mon 09-Jul-07 21:20:45

Camping a week on Saturday for a week in the Lake District. Dh (who is into weather!) has done a long range forecast which is talking about a grass frost in July.

Dc are nearly 4 and 13m. What should they wear to bed?

Am thinking:

Ds - vest, warm pj's and readybed with optional blanket/duvet. Socks too.

dd - travel cot, warm grobag, vest, babygro or pjs, blanket.

Would this be warm enough?

Should dh and I take our winter weight duvet (cannot bear sleeping bags!)? Would that be excessive?

Advice appreciated . . .

Blueblob Mon 09-Jul-07 21:32:26

Just got back with a 6 year old and a 2.5 year old. I had them side by side in Ready Beds with a duvet on the top of them both.
Both said they were nice and warm. If it's really cold I wonder if putting a black bin bag underneath the ready bed would help.

DS what you said.

DD Have you got a light weight cardigan? Problem with grobags is the arms are left out but a light cardi on top helps with that.

Waswondering Mon 09-Jul-07 21:34:26

Yes, I think I would definitely do cardi. Also planned to put a waterproof backed picnic blanket under the readybed too.

Were you warm enough?

SecondhandRose Mon 09-Jul-07 21:35:23

Woolly hat? Or am I too extreme?

Blueblob Mon 09-Jul-07 21:43:15

We were freezing but the kids were OK . We have Ready Beds also and they're not the warmest really, wish we'd put something under ours. Discovered it was best to put a fleece blanket in the bag rather than on top.

My 2 year old put his head on a little fleece buggy blanket and that seemed to do a similar job as a hat. He snuggled it round his head.

Waswondering Mon 09-Jul-07 21:45:20

Oh joy. Will pack my deepest winter pjs then. Dh normally wears a pair of boxers and nowt else, so I may need to have a wee chat with him!!

sfxmum Mon 09-Jul-07 22:10:28

just another question as have same problem

- is that the ready bed on top of a normal inflatable bed?

we off camping next weekend for the first time with dd 2.1

tia

Waswondering Mon 09-Jul-07 22:14:02

Ds's readybed is just an inflatable that the sleeping bag bit kind of hugs round - the air bed is in a pocket at the back and he sleeps in the front bit. HTH

PrettyCandles Mon 09-Jul-07 22:14:46

Don't put the readybed over another inflatable. The air in the mattresses doesn't insulate enough. Put it on top of campermats (or, I've heard, flattened cardboard boxes).

A find joggers, light sweatshirt, and socks to be the best camping pjs, plus have a hat under your pillow.

The children tend to be fine on campermats, in sleeping bags (baby bag for the tinies) in ordinary warm pjs. They're far warmer creatures than we oldies!

hana Mon 09-Jul-07 22:16:30

yes, my baby (9m) wore a vest, baby gro, and a fleecy babygro on top of that - she was fine, this was about a month ago (wet and cold)
2 year old wore undershirt and flannel pjs inside a sleeping blanket -- was fine. the tent actually got quite warm with the heat and breathing of the kids

Blueblob Mon 09-Jul-07 22:30:42

Something flat to put the Ready Bed on, as someone another air matress and you'd have the same probs with air circulation. Also could be abit wobbly .

A cheap roll up sleeping mat, my brother took extra towels to put under if cold! I was thinking about trying black bin bag next time. I remember going on summer camps as a teenager and we always had to take a black bin bag for emergencies on hill walks! Or those silver survival blanket things you get given after marathons. Fleece blanket?

With our big tent we've always taken an extra groundsheet to put under the inner sleep tent. That's always kept down the condensation. Wonder if that's one reason we were colder this time. First time using this smaller one and tried to take as little as possible.

LittleB Tue 10-Jul-07 11:40:49

We went camping a week ago in Cornwall, dd (2.2) was fine with pjs, in her ready bed with a blanket doubled over on top, didn't put anything under it, didn't think of that. She crawled into our bed in the morning (dh and I sleep naked in a double summer sleeping bag with blanket on top) and announced we were too hot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now