Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am I going to get VERY wet?

(11 Posts)
Pixel Fri 22-Jun-07 20:41:25

A group of us from dd's school are going camping tomorrow night. It's all very last minute and the thought of putting up our six-berth tent for one night was a bit daunting. Anyway, I've just got a two-man tent in Tesco for £16.99! I put it up in the garden in a few minutes and it's fab, plenty of room for me and two skinny children and even has a little vestibule at the front with windows. Just a bit concerned at how waterproof I can expect it to be for 17 quid? .

Lucycat Fri 22-Jun-07 20:45:53

err depends on how much it's going to rain?

is it the tattoo one?

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Fri 22-Jun-07 20:46:42

It probably will be fine if you put it up correctly. DH suggests not to put it up whilst under the influence of drink/drugs. Helpful for a school trip no?

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Fri 22-Jun-07 20:47:38

DH is a outdoor pursuits instructor so well qualified in the area of tents.

PestoMonster Fri 22-Jun-07 20:47:46

Is a vestibule a hall? If so, it seems it might be useful, to park your wellies and umberellas in.

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Fri 22-Jun-07 20:49:45

If you look at the met office website it says it will be v. rainy tomorrow. http://www.meto.gov.uk Where are you going?

kookaburra Fri 22-Jun-07 20:57:05

Actually, rain can make a camping hol.
Last year, in Dorset, DS1 (then 8) wanted to sleep in a tent on his own, so - thinking he would not last the night alone I bought him one in ASDA (for 8.99 (stingy - moi?).
During the night - torrential downpour, thunder & lightning, me awake all night straining my ears for my little lamb calling out for me... Eventually fell into a fitful sleep, to be awoken by him calling us - 'hey mum, dad - its morning', coming inot our tent. He was dressed, )gave him a star for that) - he said cheerfully 'actually mum, I did do out earlier for a walk in my PJs but they got soaked in the rain, so I went back to get my clotehs on' .
Asked tentatively if the thunder had awoken him - again, cheerfully - 'oh, yeah, once or twice, but I rolled away from teh puddle and went back to sleep'
I was the happiest perosn in the world then - my boy - 'Just William' , if it had been fine, DH & I would not have had that moment of side-splitting mirth at his nonchalance.
I also (pre-DH) had a memeorable night in a campsite with and ex boyfriend in the Bois de bolougne in a thunderstorm...
Quite romantic - the rain...

vixma Fri 22-Jun-07 21:04:32

it should be fine and if it isnt muddy...they will have an adventure to tell their friends about. We are going camping for a week for the first time in devon, so fingers crossed. I do not mind rain, it is mud I am worried about.......fingers crossed and the fact that I always seem to be left to put the bloody tent up as if I left it to my son and partner ( i have before!) the tent take 7 times longer than I do to put it up. Do they do this on purpose, proberly.

Pixel Fri 22-Jun-07 22:46:58

I'm back from fetching supplies. I gave in and bought a lovely fluffy throw that I saw months ago and thought was a bit of an extravagance. At least we'll be warm! I was trying to find a picture of the tent but I can't find it on the website. this is the closest but it's a leaf pattern and the little bit at the front has its own groundsheet.

Halfmumhalfbiscuit, we're off to Wisborough Green. It's a field next to a country pub which is handy! I actually used to camp there many years ago with my parents so it will be interesting to see how if it is still the same as how I remember it. Hopefully it's no longer necessary to dash past a flock of vicious geese to get to the toilet!

Pixel Sun 24-Jun-07 14:09:22

Back home now and yes we did get wet! I think we chose the wrong weekend to have 3 of us in a two-man tent although to be fair to the tent it didn't really start leaking until about 5 o'clock this morning. By the time our friends got up I had dcs washed, dressed and sitting in the car eating bananas, had packed everything but the tent and had made tea for everyone. I helped everyone else pack up and was back home eating a bacon and fried egg sandwich by 9.30! Dd had to come home in her pjs because everything else was so wet but I think she and ds enjoyed it a lot more than I did. If there'd been any chance of the rain stopping we'd have played games in my friend's bigger tent (4 berth, there was just enough floor space for all 11 of us to sit down) and waited it out but the field was getting more and more boggy. I was sure I could see my car sinking .

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Mon 25-Jun-07 20:36:56

Sounds like a real adventure!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now