Talk

Advanced search

Spanish campsites - are they all always so noisy???

(35 Posts)
UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 11-Aug-18 08:14:46

Third campsite five days in Spain, hardly any sleep in any of them. Kids stop screaming about 1am, adults talking and moving about until 2-3am. We've also had party goers using the campsite as a short cut (talking at the tops of their voices at 4am) and bars/nightclubs playing music until 6am!

Help! We are in rural Galicia. I didn't expect this and I'm going mad. And we're here for 12 more nights...!

Breadsticksandhummus Sat 11-Aug-18 08:16:48

I come from a Spanish family. That's Spain for you I'm afraid. I hate it, hence why I never go back 😁. Everyone is up late because everyone naps in the afternoon.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sat 11-Aug-18 08:20:15

That's not the reassurance I was looking for but thank you for your honesty grin

Everyone is just so LOUD. No one walks among the tents and vans with an even slightly lowered voice.

It's very beautiful here but I am going insane with tiredness.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sun 12-Aug-18 15:12:15

Friday night was pure hell, music from the campsite bar until midnight, screaming kids until 1am when they were taken over by music from a distant nightclub until 6am. People walking about talking at full volume. I got zero sleep.

Saturday night started off worse. Campsite bar pumping out music so we left at 11am and parked up in a lay-by a few miles away. Could still hear music and a DJ from somewhere even though we were apparently miles from anywhere confused

We're at a different, more remote campsite now, hoping that it will be quieter.

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Sun 12-Aug-18 15:13:52

that is what Spanish people are like, tbh.

CasperGutman Sun 12-Aug-18 16:45:01

The Spanish keep very late hours. Even when not camping we could never get our heads round them - we were forever eating in empty restaurants, or being told the dinner menu wasn't available yet at 8.30pm! Sounds like I should cross Spain off the list of places to camp!

MorrisDancingViv Sun 12-Aug-18 16:48:44

I'm going to bookmark this thread to use when there is another 'I want to go where the locals go (because it will be more cultural and sophisticated) not be in a' Brits abroad' area'

On a more serious note, that sounds hardwork, I hope people are a bit quieter going forward.

elQuintoConyo Sun 12-Aug-18 16:54:07

Welcome to Spain.

Buy earplugs.

Adapt to the Spanish timetable.

Loosen your knicker elastic.

bluerunningshoes Sun 12-Aug-18 16:54:15

they are a tad later than the french campites, but we have just been to the north coast on a eurocamp site and it was fine.
evening programme 10pm- midnight each night, but quiet after. and tbh due to the heat there was no chance of sleep before that.
very effective security to stop non-campers using the main avenue as short cut.

elQuintoConyo Sun 12-Aug-18 16:54:56

And no one here eats at 8.30pm, especially in the summer.

Branleuse Sun 12-Aug-18 16:55:33

Go for a long drive and camp in french pyrenees instead

Atalune Sun 12-Aug-18 16:57:22

Sounds very Spanish to me I would say everyone including kids can handle
Being up late till about midnight bit then I would expect some peace.

How good is your Spanish? Can you talk to the campsites first before you roll in?

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Sun 12-Aug-18 17:44:10

@elQuintoConyo thank you for the welcome. We're doing our best to adapt and of course it is very beautiful, with amazing beaches for swimming and surfing and snorkelling. The food and wine are fabulous.

We're larks rather than owls so the adjustment will be severe grin

And @Branleuse our elderly camper van would disintegrate at the sight of the Pyrenees, but it's definitely on the to do list.

We've moved to somewhere even MORE remote so hoping that we get some peace tonight.

Purplemond Mon 13-Aug-18 11:39:32

this happened to us recently, as spanish families had seasonal pitches at the site and wouldnt start cooking with charcoal barbecues until after 11pm. I would not mind the fact everyone has different routines and timetables at all, but the site did state respect hours of silence between 11pm and 8am and when my dd and dh would set off for run/cycle around 8am the security guard told them to be quiet despite making minimal noise ! one morning i was even getting a shower in toilet block at 7.30 away from pitches and the security guard came shouting in the toilet block silence please !

i couldn't believe they would criticise us for very little noise on the morning after or just before 8am when on a evening the site was loud and noisy until the early hours and the security guard would eat/drink/chat with the Seasonals

Thankfully it was the only bad experience of are trip and we stayed at other sites in Spain and France where neighbours were very friendly

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Mon 13-Aug-18 12:53:42

Very peaceful night last night thank God! Partly because it was a bit rainy and partly because there's more foreigners on this site.

But there was a faint aroma of sewage emanating from behind our pitch. envy <- not envy

Atalune Wed 15-Aug-18 02:02:11

Ah small pleasures though! Glad you had a passable night.

midgesummer Wed 15-Aug-18 02:21:40

We lived in Mexico for a few years and it was exactly the same, crazy loud late nights and frowning on normal noise levels before 10am, even if thumping bass had kept you up until 3am.

elQuintoConyo Wed 15-Aug-18 15:08:20

I'm sure i can across as rather snippy Unexpected and i apologise.

We are going camping to a beach spot north of Barcelona in a couple of weeks, i'm sure it'll be as noisy as anything! Ear plugs, eye mask, gin grin - including for the dog!

I hope the rest of your trip was calm and restful.

luckycat007 Wed 15-Aug-18 15:10:58

Thank you for the warning OP know to avoid camping there now. I like peace!!

DownAtFraggleRock Wed 15-Aug-18 15:19:22

Earplugs are a godsend for noisy campgrounds. We recently did a road trip and one site was on a main road. Earplugs all the way.

IrinaGreensitt Wed 15-Aug-18 15:59:29

We live in Spain the heat can be unbearable, during the summer whilst all the tourists are outside baking the Spanish tend to stay indoors venturing out when cooler. During the months of July and August we'll be at the beach 8 to midnight. Also Spanish siesta means they work till 8 or 9 at night so eat much later. There are some amazing Spanish campsites best to look for the smaller sites and go out of season if you can (which means not July and August). We tend to head North towards Girona and then just across the French border OR head south to Andalucia and the Sierra Nevada.

pinkhorse Wed 15-Aug-18 16:11:28

We're on a caravan site in the uk right now and am amazed at what time people are up and about at, they don't even keep the noise down. They start wandering around on noisy scooters etc at 7am! It's driving me and ds mad. Why on earth would you be up and about at that time in the morning confused

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 16-Aug-18 13:50:58

We had another night of no sleep, there was a festival apparently so the music went on until 6am. We could hear the base and the DJ shouting over the music. Spoke to the woman at the campsite and she said it was coming from 5km away! I'm so tired sad

Atalune Thu 16-Aug-18 16:40:26

Oh man that sounds so rubbish.

Time to book an air bnb? Or a hotel? Cut your loses now? I am absolutely no use with no sleep, I would be crying.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 16-Aug-18 17:37:13

Am seriously considering a hotel for a night. DH is exhausted and I think it's the reason his AFib has kicked off again. He's now on day 3 of it and it's wearing him out.

We are at yet another campsite, hoping for quietness tonight. Six more nights before we go home. Sad that I'm counting the days until our holiday ends!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: