Talk

Advanced search

Camping with a 3 week old

(11 Posts)
Icklepickle101 Tue 07-Aug-18 09:30:45

I’m a total camping newbie but DP is much more seasoned and has suggested we go for a last minute trip next week with 2 year old DS and DD who will be 3 weeks.

I’m fairly relaxed about most of it but not sure on what we will need for overnight. I’ve got varying tog grobags for DD but clueless how chilly it will be for DS and us. Any help with what layers/bedding we will need? Or any top tips for camping with a newborn?

SweepTheHalls Tue 07-Aug-18 09:44:32

I used the pram carry cot next to our airbed, normal pyjamas and doubled up the gro bags to keep DD toasty warm 😁

Icklepickle101 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:23:12

We have a bugaboo bee which doesn’t have a proper carrycot so I was intending on using the travel cot and a single air bed for me in one bedroom and DP and DS on a double in the other bedroom

holidaycountdown54321 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:31:00

I went camping last year in France with a 5 week old and a 19 month old. I bought a little fold up cot thing from Argos (£40 or so), I packed a few cellular blankets and used as many as I felt were appropriate each night, 3 weeks is probably a bit little for a gro bag? He just slept in a baby grow and was warm enough. I exclusively breastfed so the feeding side of things was easy. The campsite had a built in baby bath in a room so I didn't need to worry about that either. We are away again 12 months on and it's actually harder with a 13 month old and a 2 1/2 year old!

holidaycountdown54321 Tue 07-Aug-18 12:36:34

This one www.argos.co.uk/product/3199619

Doyoumind Tue 07-Aug-18 12:37:04

I think you are very brave. I love camping and have done it with young DC but wouldn't attempt with a 3 week old.

Where are you camping? Will you be close to other tents? They will be able to hear your DD crying in the night.

I would take a little hat, just in case as it can get chilly. It depends if the hot weather holds.

ScrubTheDecks Tue 07-Aug-18 18:35:45

Just make sure there is some insulation underneath the baby as well as clothes on top.

Are you ebf? I wouldn’t want to be dealing with sterilisation and bottles for a tiny baby.

Can one of you put the tent up single handed? Keeping 2 year olds occupied and safe while putting the tent up can be a challenge.

Take a Kampa Khazi / camping toilet for nights.

PoliticalBiscuit Sat 11-Aug-18 09:13:43

To be a Debbie downer I'm not sure if have been capable of camping with a new baby, physically I was still recovering, sleep was precious so a comfortable bed was a need, let alone access to hot and cold running water for dealing with pooey hands after changing a nappy. You'll be feeding and changing in the dark and the cold at night.

Some babies wouldn't be ok to wear a gro bag at 3 weeks as there's a suggested weight to start them with.

I'm not sure whether my better regions would have coped with all day sitting on a camping chair then all night lying on an uncomfortable bed.

As a camping newbie just think it all through. Is it possible that he could go with the toddler and you could stay at home with baby?

ItsTheGloaming Sat 11-Aug-18 09:17:02

What about the other campers who get to listen to your baby crying at night?

PoliticalBiscuit Sat 11-Aug-18 10:05:29

Haha! Just realised the autocorrect from nether regions to better regions grin

Whatever you say phone blush

GothMummy Sun 12-Aug-18 00:15:52

Are you physically recovered enough from the birth for this OP? Dont be pressured in to it....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: