Talk

Advanced search

Camping...Pillows!

(16 Posts)
4yoniD Sat 09-Jun-18 17:39:51

Trying to cut down a bit so packing doesn't resemble Tetris quite so much - what do people do for pillows? They take up so much room! Are camping pillows any good? I was looking at maybe inflatable ones or SIM types? Thanks!

DamsonGin Sat 09-Jun-18 19:03:34

We have some inflatable pillows but tbh I still like to turn a jumper on on itself and stuff it with others clothes (pref not smelly socks).

wowsaidtheowl Sat 09-Jun-18 19:38:23

Ikea have long skinny cushions for about £3.50. They’re sort of half pillows! Crap at links but will try in a moment.

wowsaidtheowl Sat 09-Jun-18 19:39:58

Like this:

www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/textiles-rugs/cushions-inner-cushions/vendla-cushion-pink-white-art-80389563/

I feel like I’m getting a proper pillow!

NannyR Sat 09-Jun-18 19:44:43

I just take my normal pillow, but there's just me! When I do lightweight backpacking camping I put clothes in a stuff sack and use that.
You can get travel vacuum storage bags that you roll up rather than using a vacuum cleaner, I don't know if they are big enough for pillows though.

letallthechildrenboogie Sat 09-Jun-18 19:47:17

We use the stuff sacks from the sleeping bags with (clean!) clothes inside them .

LartenCrepsley Sat 09-Jun-18 20:01:26

I take my own pillow; that’s something I won’t compromise on! You can get vacuum bags big enough for duvets, so I’m sure there’s something available for pillows.

OrchidInTheSun Sat 09-Jun-18 20:13:56

I refuse to compromise on pillows. I put mine in an air sucky bag to make it small

4yoniD Sun 10-Jun-18 21:58:16

Thanks, loving the ikea pillow! Will see what I can find.

Ski4130 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:45:34

We take normal pillows. There are 5 of us and we take two each, but vac pack them so they take up far less space.

Maryann1975 Wed 13-Jun-18 14:03:42

I take the pillows from my bed for dh and I. The dc take smaller square ‘decorative’ cushions from their beds which I keep just for camping.
I forgot my pillows when we went last time, it wasn’t great at all.

hestia2018 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:19:18

I put the pillows behind the DCs backs in the car!

Originallymeonly Sun 17-Jun-18 07:00:53

I've just ordered self inflation mats with attached pillows, but will still be taking one of my own

CisMyArse Sun 17-Jun-18 07:11:05

I know what you mean OP - I'm thinking about how to reduce my camp size for the summer. We camp for 3 weeks and move every few days (through France) every year and every year I try and reduce our camp.

We can't compromise on pillows however. We've tried camping pillows, inflatables, stuff sacks with clothes - nothing replaces a good night's sleep, so the pillows stay and I'm focusing on downsizing the kitchen box.

CisMyArse Sun 17-Jun-18 07:13:06

Meant to add -

DC have one each with them to travel with and the other two are used for wedding between items to keep the camp packed tightly in the boot (I have a van so if things aren't packed well, there's an avalanche when I
Open the boot.

TimeToDash Sun 17-Jun-18 07:16:49

We have these, they're fab! https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/vango-shangri-la-memory-foam-pillow-D2514084.html?channable=e44345.MjMwNTQ4XzEwNQ&colour=105&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxL2riYba2wIVxZ3tCh1svAigEAQYBSABEgI1GPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: