Talk

Advanced search

Bell Tent cotton or polycotton?

(8 Posts)
weepingwillows Wed 23-May-18 13:42:23

Sorry to start a new thread on bell tents but believe me I have gone through all 10 pages of previous threads and none cover this question. My husband and I are buying our first tent and now think we want a bell tent. One of the websites we have been looking at seem to have gone to polycotton while the others are 100% cotton canvas. Of course their website talks about the positives of polycotton such as durability and mildew resistance but wondering if there are any negatives differences and why I should maybe not go for polycotton option? Thanks so much?

weepingwillows Wed 23-May-18 20:42:42

any camping enthusiasts out there?

ScrubTheDecks Thu 24-May-18 08:09:20

Have you seen the Gelert Navajo polycotton bell tent as sold by SportsDirect?

Despite the SD retail connection, these tents get very good reviews.

Captainladder Thu 24-May-18 21:48:43

We got a cotton one as then we could buy the fire retardant treated type and have a wood burning stove... friends of ours have a poly one and love it.... I’m a bit of a wuss when it comes to cold though so it was no stove no camping for me!

hettie Fri 25-May-18 16:09:50

I've got polycotton (not bell) and it's lighter than my friends cotton by miles. Easier to transport, set up, and dries quicker. But it appears just as durable and not like a sauna in the sun...

hettie Fri 25-May-18 16:56:16

Not sure what the material is thats used in these, but seems to be something similar www.boutiquecamping.com/tents-c1/the-oxford-bell-tent-4m-grey-p911

averythinline Tue 29-May-18 08:23:05

Polycotton is much lighter than the traditional canvas bell tent and easier to dry - they are not quite as 'breathable and probably wont last quite as long (no evidence beyond scout canvas tents wich are 40yrs+ old!) however you really must make sure canvas are packed completely dry or you have plenty of space to dry them soon....

I have different sort of polycotton and love it.. and am toying with getting a smaller one as we often camp by train/plane so looking for lightweight hadnt thought of bell tent! may start shopping grin

which polycotton ones are you looking at? the soulpad looks quite good -
Gelerts have never been a great brand of tents and I cant find reviews apart from the one on ukcampsite where it hasnt been tried in the rain! so if anyones tried one ould love to hear...

weepingwillows Thu 07-Jun-18 00:10:59

So after weeks of indecision and lots of research I decided on a 100% cotton one from belltentboutique. Karma would have been my first choice but they had sold out. I am now a new bell tent owner arriving tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: