Talk

Advanced search

Share your camping recipes!

(23 Posts)
boilingkettle Tue 22-May-18 12:53:27

First family camping trip booked for this weekend. Me, DH, 2 DDs, 6 & 3.
Looking for tips on what I can make on the camping stove and BBQ?
Kids are fairly plain eaters so thinking cereal/brioche for brekkie, ham sarnies for lunch and burgers for dinner. Bit stuck on what to do for their dinner on second night, maybe pasta or noodles.
I’m a veggie, DH likes meat. Share your camping stove favourites here!
TIA

ColonelCakes Tue 22-May-18 12:56:37

For just a weekend, we have one meal that is tins from m&s with rice. We have chicken in white sauce but they also have nice veggie curries. We always regret not taking bacon for breakfast!

Wolfiefan Tue 22-May-18 12:58:15

Quesadillas
Pasta and pesto (adventurous!)
We always take a frozen meal with us. In the cool box it keeps milk cool and defrosts on the way. Easy first meal! Meatballs etc.

boilingkettle Tue 22-May-18 13:38:14

Oh yes, I’ll make a chilli and freeze a portion for DH, and do a veggie version for me. Nice crusty loaf with it. Bacon and eggs for breakfast.
Tinned meals a great idea too, how do you do rice? Boil in the bag?

ColonelCakes Tue 22-May-18 14:12:32

We have used boil in a bag but it needed 18 mins! So I tend to do it the way I do at home - one cup rice to two cups water, bring to boil and simmer with lid on for 8 mins (level of water should be just below level of rice, might take longer depending on your stove) then take off the heat but leave lid on for 8 mins. The microwave rice pouches are another option. Or cous cous is the easiest!

Aprilmightbemynewname Tue 22-May-18 14:15:47

We make fajitas, risotto, and cooked breakfast!

FrangipaniBlue Tue 22-May-18 15:10:23

Buy enough BBQ meat for two nights but freeze half.

The frozen half in the cool box will double up
as ice blocks and keep everything else cool and will slowly defrost ready to BBQ on night 2!

Milk for cereals in the cool box along with butter/cheese/salad for sandwiches.

Wraps keep fresher than bread or rolls.

Tinned chicken or ham goes well in sandwiches too.

Rices or cous cous that you just need to as boiling water to.

Also check whether your campsite (if it's small) has a communal fridge or freezer you can use, the farm we stay at for a week every August does.

bettycat81 Tue 22-May-18 16:21:48

The packs of microwave rice are great as it's already cooked and just needs heating. Just add them in.

If cooking separately then add a drop of water to it in the pan.

boilingkettle Tue 22-May-18 16:44:59

These are all great ideas! Thank you all. I had stupidly discounted the. Microwave packets due to lack of microwave, but I forgot you can add them to a stir fry or similar - doh! Also a great idea about the frozen meat. Some BBQ chicken would do DH and the kids... you’ve got me thinking now!

biscuitmillionaire Tue 22-May-18 16:47:55

My genius idea was instant noodles (flavoured ones) with a fried egg on top for a very quick lunch. Noodles much quicker to cook than rice.

ScrubTheDecks Wed 23-May-18 07:28:02

Packs of ready made pancakes heated in a frying pan.

Packs of tortilla wraps are handy. Buy packs of felafel, heat in frying pan, in wrap with hoummous and salad.

2 Tortilla wraps sandwiched with grated cheese (tne ready grated or packs of sliced emmenthsl from Lidl) heated in frying pan, flipped over til cheese melted, cut in quarters. Add in other ingredients to taste (but don’t overfill).

Halloumi for veg BBQ.

Ylvamoon Wed 23-May-18 07:34:48

Stir in pasta sauce is great & serve with a salad
BBQ- you can boil potatoes & left overs can be fired with onion and egg on top and beans nx day.

boilingkettle Wed 23-May-18 17:26:39

OMG I’m getting so hungry reading these!

Wolfiefan Wed 23-May-18 17:57:03

Spanish omelette.
Suddenly thought of that earlier!

Tulip7 Thu 31-May-18 00:29:51

We always cook up a chilli or curry and freeze it to take with us. We've cooked steaks on a bbq before and wrapped some potato in foil on the coals and roasted red pepper and tomato. For breakfast we tend to have bacon and eggs with beans.

Love the idea of the tinned curry from M&S. Will definitely grab some of those for our next camping trip.

Wraps are a good shout too!

Tulip7 Thu 31-May-18 00:31:24

Oh, and pot noodles for that late evening snack around the campfire. Keeps you warm too!

BiddyPop Thu 31-May-18 08:24:29

Lidl’s hot choc mix is made up with water so very useful for camping. I use it family and Cub Scout camping for late evenings - make it up with boiling water and add some cold milk to make it DC drinking temperature.

BiddyPop Fri 01-Jun-18 10:54:29

When away on camp, DD and I love French toast for brekkie done in the pan. Some mornings, I;ve been known to cook a rasher or 2 first, and then the French toast in the bacon-y pan, nom nom.

Use tin foil to make little packets to cook things on the BBQ, if it's already on, to maximize the fuel and reduce need for stove. So do veggies chopped reasonably small dice, seasoned and with some oil, and wrap in foil with enough airspace to allow them to cook (i.e. don't wrap it too tightly). I love plain mushrooms with salt, pepper and butter. Or a mix of peppers, mushrooms, onion, garlic, courgette etc with some salt, pepper, oregano and olive oil.

DD also loves a plainer dinner sometimes - diced potato, carrot and onion, with some minced beef or diced chicken, all cooked together in a pouch with just a little oil to stop it sticking, salt and pepper.

Or do chicken (or mince beef), peppers and onions with some fajita or taco seasoning and some oil to prevent sticking, open a pack of doritos along the long side (not the normal opening at the top), add the mix with some grated cheese and salsa or sliced tomato to make cheat's tacos. Eat with a fork straight from the bag.

MyNameIsNotSteven Sun 03-Jun-18 17:09:59

Is French toast the same as eggy bread? DS loved tinned curry last year so thanks for the reminder. Don't forget stuff for s'mores - we don't bother with the crackers as choc biscuits are better.

FowlisWester Sun 03-Jun-18 17:17:34

Sausages cooked in pan then chuck in a few tins of beans and some tinned little potatoes. One pan meal.

BiddyPop Tue 05-Jun-18 09:39:27

Yup - French toast = eggy bread. I keep thinking I should bring some vanilla to add but forget it.

FintyTin Fri 08-Jun-18 09:57:55

@BiddyPop those cheat’s tacos sound fab! Definitely going to try those!

BiddyPop Fri 08-Jun-18 10:15:52

Finty you could just as easily do the seasoned meat/veg mix in a pan if that works best for you - DD just likes the novelty of doing things in foil on camp so that's why I stuck it in as a foil pack idea.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: