Talk

Advanced search

Loire valley (France, camping)

(11 Posts)
Robindrama Mon 19-Feb-18 19:25:36

We are thinking of camping there in the summer of 2018 or 2019. Kids aged 7,10. We would drive there with own tent and equipment. Would love to hire bikes and explore the area and castles.
Can you please recommend me a campsite? Don't need entertainment but clean shower and toilets are a must.
Any other tips will be much appreciated! That would be our first camping outside UK.
Thank you.

wowsaidtheowl Tue 20-Feb-18 19:55:19

We stayed at Huttopia Saumur and loved it. Super clean, beautiful views, nice pool, quiet and a super low key kids club (we didn’t use it). Loved it so much we’re going back this summer on the way to the dordogne.

bettycat81 Wed 21-Feb-18 20:01:52

We stayed at Les Bois du Bardelet for a few nights last year. Really lovely site with huge pitches.

Cardilover Wed 21-Feb-18 20:09:02

We loved Camping les Saules at Cheverny. Nice pool and restaurant, really clean shower blocks, nice mix of nationalities and really friendly site. They do bike hire on the site.

Purplemond Thu 22-Feb-18 13:01:21

We stayed at Camping De l'etang over 10 years ago and it was a lovely site, i think maybe they had a kids club at the time but i cant remember any loud evening entertainment, a covered pool and outdoor ones, nice spacious playground, i think their might of been a fishing lake on site and within walking distance was a water park/adventure park which was owned by the site, quite reasonably priced at the dc loved it. The site offered bike hire and there was many little villages to explore around the area. Im not sure if it would be the same now but agree with another poster Huttopia sites are worth checking out we have stayed at a few but none in the Loire region, they are all relaxed laid back and what we like about campsites without the loud entertainment to the early hours

averythinline Fri 16-Mar-18 07:23:37

was just going to recommend camping chantepie - was a mumsnet recommendation and one of our first places we camped in France- and see its now a huttopia- lovely site- DS learnt to ride his bike there with the help of a dutch family ....if you can get a river view plot I would recommend the extra we went a couple of years on the trot (not usual for me always like somewhere new)
Definitely one of my favourite sites ever...hope they haven't spoilt it ...the restaurant had the families lovely rose and great simple food...

Only downside was we ended up driving to/from it as was beyond dc capability..saumur lovely place

Kahlua4me Sun 18-Mar-18 22:24:36

We have stayed at Le Chant d’Oiseau loire-gives.com twice now.

It’s a great little site and the owners are very friendly.

reluctantearlymorningriser Tue 27-Mar-18 21:48:48

We stayed at Camping Loire et Chateaux last year.
en.loireetchateaux.com
It is small and relatively low key. The facilities were very clean and it was quiet at night. There were lots of families camping and touring by bike as it is close to the Loire à Vélo.
I have booked Camping la Grande Tortue this year to try a different location.

Paintingtheroseswhite Fri 06-Apr-18 17:16:02

Another one for Chantepie here, absolutely lovely site, stunning views and spotless. It is also just up the hill from all the sparkling wine houses. The only downside is that it is a drive to get to anything as there is very little around it in the way of amenities shops/ restaurants etc

fopper Wed 16-May-18 23:14:46

Les Alicourts is just fabulous and sooo clean.

butterybollocks Thu 17-May-18 14:55:19

We stayed at domaine de la breche last year and loved it. Really clean showers and loos, great pool, good shop and cafe on site.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: