Advanced search

Should we stick with folding camper or go mad and buy a caravan?

(13 Posts)
Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sat 13-Jan-18 15:00:42

Love the camper. Tis lovely but now holidaying a bit more in the uk and just wondering (and I never thought I'd be saying this) whether to go for a caravan. We can only tow a relatively light one - up to around 1300 but there is enough in that category. If money was no object then I'd buy a super dooper new one (actually, if money was no object I'd be holidaying in the Caribbean, hey ho) but it is an object as our house needs lots of boring stuff like sofits doing at some point.

So. Camper is already bought, paid for, has paid for itself as have had six holidays in it so depreciation is now very low. Resale value fairly good as is in perfect condition and we and previous owners treated it with kid gloves. But down side is we can't just go off for long weekend at Easter cos too chilly (it is canvas on top) and if doing longer journeys can't really stop overnight as it is like a jigsaw puzzle inside with all kit and caboodle to unload somewhere. Take down is much easier done when not raining.

A caravan is going to mean taking out a loan and thus building back up the usage. But we could keep clothes, stuff in it (the camper has the bedding in it stored already) and possibly keep it on a pitch from Easter through October so could just whizz down for weekends. In reality though, not sure whether this would happen as life seems so sodding busy. Pack up would be easier. We could use it for overnight stops. Not sure either how old a caravan I dare buy as concerned about leaks, etc round windows but it seems daft tying up £18,000 plus on a new one.

Any words of wisdom gratefully received.

tropicalfish26 Sat 13-Jan-18 19:33:04

We bought caravan in September last year after years of camping once we got a dog. We absolutely love it never thought I would say that. We keep it packed up ready to go and managed 5 trips up till early Dec. It was second hand 9 years old in fantastic condition from a dealer and we haven't regretted once. Already planning two trips for next month. We are really missing using it at mo as we 've drained, unpacked and covered it for a couple of months over xmas/new year. Its really cosy and warm-on our last trip it was snowing.

busyboysmum Sat 13-Jan-18 19:37:33

We've had caravans for 15 years now. Started off with a £1000 eBay bargain and worked our way up to all bells and whistles version. We do go away most weekends from Spring to autumn. It's all packed and ready so takes 30 mins if we decide spur of the moment to pack a bag of food and a bag of clothes and off we go.

We love love love it. Usually go within an hour or so of home. Leave 4pm Friday back 7pm Sunday throughout the season with longer breaks when we can.

LightastheBreeze Sat 13-Jan-18 19:37:58

We bought a 3 year old caravan from a dealer 10 years ago and it is still going strong, it’s a small one and we use it loads, so probably have a look at some which are about 3-4 years old so it is still modern and reasonably new.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sun 14-Jan-18 09:20:17

Thank you, lovely caravaners. Now, four berth or two? I've noticed that the two berth have more living space but is it a faff to put up the bed each night? We did both fancy a twin bed one then the two sons can also come if they want or there are three berth ones as well but again it is nightly put up and morning pack away. Neither husband or I are very good in a small bed - the the camper we have sn end each! Boys go in their own tentsmile

I think we've decided on the Gower this year. Fingers crossed for the weather.

BonnesVacances Sun 14-Jan-18 09:30:59

We swapped our FC for a caravan 18 months ago. We really really miss our FC but knew we would able to use a caravan all year round.

Our limit was 1300 and we struggled to find much under that. But we were looking at 6 berths (or lazy person's 4 berth as they're known).

We have to make the bed up at night but it's not much of a problem. You only have to do it once a day. My tip is to put a fitted sheet on a topper and roll it all up together with the duvet too. Then at night you just have to arrange all the cushions and unroll it and then the bed is made. We were inspired by the Duvalay and just store it under the front seat.

Sometimes the front seats are long enough to sleep on as two singles without having to make it up into a double anyway.

LightastheBreeze Sun 14-Jan-18 09:33:12

Putting the bed up is a bit of a faff, ours is a very small caravan but five berth, 5th is tiny and you can make up a double bed at both ends of the caravan. We are a bit lazy and make up the bed at the front of the caravan and leave it up if we are out all day as we can use the small table and seats at the back to sit at. When we upgrade it we are going to buy a fixed bed one

Best thing is to go to a caravan dealer and look at some layouts, also the newer the caravan the heavier they seem to be as they have more mod cons in them, so check the weights before you look at them or else it can lead to disappointment.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Sun 14-Jan-18 13:39:27

Brilliant bed idea. Thank you. Just got to decide... is there anything you would say, is a MUST have?

tropicalfish26 Sun 14-Jan-18 17:51:04

We 've got a 4 berth. Its got a fixed bed at back with shower and toilet to side and wash basin in bedroom. The lounge is nice and roomy even with a big dog bed as bathroom on side not behind bed. The most important thing to us was fixed bed and well looked after. If our daughter and her boyfriend are home from uni or friends want to join us then there is room or they can sleep in awning weather dependent. Best idea is to look at lots of different layouts at dealers or there's the caravan camping and motor home show at NEC from 20 Feb.

BonnesVacances Wed 17-Jan-18 15:20:20

For me the must haves are living space during the day. Things like a small bathroom don't worry me as you use them once or twice a day so it doesn't seem good use of space to me. Ditto with the beds.

With your low limit you'll probably find your nose weight is low too so may have to avoid caravans with drawers at the front as they add a lot of weight there.

Having a stable door is nice as we lie in bed in the morning with the top open for fresh air but without feeling exposed to the rest of the site.

millimat Sat 20-Jan-18 08:51:22

I was also going to say to go to the caravan show
If making beds could be an issue, go for a four berth with a fixed bed at the back. That way you don't need to be making it but there are beds for two other people should you want them.
Having said that,making beds isn't an issue for us - is a 2 minute job. Or caravan is warmer than our house in winter so we do use it all year round.
A porch awning is a good investment as it stops all the muddy shoes, wet coats etc coming in should the weather be bad. They are very quick to put on.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Thu 25-Jan-18 18:05:05

Thank you!

UsernamesSoHardToChoose Sun 04-Feb-18 22:39:57

We swapped our FC for a caravan end of 2016. Love being pitched within mins of arriving & being able to load it at leisure. Heating much better so can use all year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now