Talk

Advanced search

Cadac purchase help!

(11 Posts)
Tankerdale Sat 14-Oct-17 10:44:56

We've decided we want to buy a Cadac for next year's camping trips and are going to get it as xmas present to each other.

But it's so confusing! Different models and bundles make it really hard to directly compare prices. I think we want the carri chef type rather than the smaller safari chef (we're family of 5), but what accessories are essential - I'm guessing the Pan thing? And can you cook in the lid or did I imagine that? Any help or pointing towards the best deals gratefully received!

Tankerdale Sun 15-Oct-17 20:01:06

Anyone?

profpoopsnagle Sun 15-Oct-17 21:00:54

I have a cobb, so can't help with direct comparisons.

We got a good deal with accesories and have added to it over the years. The parts we use most are: an extension ring with roast rack, a flat grill plate and a griddle plate. We use the wok pan the least, but we do sometimes use it on our normal gas stove.

Have you tried searching for any FB cadac groups? There is a cobb one and it's extremely helpful.

samlovesdilys Sun 15-Oct-17 21:50:55

We have a safari and only just big enough for 4 so agree the bigger one, would love one tbh but space is issue. The pan looks well used, what sort of food would you then cook??

Tankerdale Sun 15-Oct-17 22:35:26

Thanks guys, id like to be able to do standard BBQ stuff, fry ups, pancakes, and also one pot casseroles. I think we've narrowed it down to a combi deal on the carri chef 2 with either the 'chef pan' or 'skoetal' which I think is the same as a Paella pan. Not sure which of those is best and whether either of them would for e.g sausage casserole or whether you'd use a separate saucepan for that sort of thing?

Tankerdale Sun 15-Oct-17 22:36:31

If you're doing say spaghetti bolognaise, do you cook your pasta on a separate basic one ring burner? And same for boiling the kettle?

Fourmantent Tue 17-Oct-17 17:36:53

Hi

I am a big Cadac fan! We have ours set up as a garden BBQ in the summer. When I bought mine, I trawled through pages and pages on line to find the cheapest deal. I started with the basic Carri Chef II with BBQ plate. It was actually cheaper to buy the chef pan separately. I have since added a grill 2 braai and a pizza stone (Xmas pressies). I wouldn't personally recommend the skottel top as I owned one of these prior to buying the Carri Chef. I guess it depends on what you want to cook on it. I think the chef pan or paella pan are more versatile. I haven't tried the roast pan as I don't think we would go to the trouble of a big roast when on holiday.

For Xmas this year I am planning on buying myself a Bright Spark camping toaster in the hope of being able to make toast on the Cadac - it will be an experiment.

I love my Cadac. We take it on holiday and use it every day, even if we are staying in a chalet.

Tankerdale Tue 17-Oct-17 19:49:42

Thanks for the tips! Will check if buying separately is cheaper.
So, if you make a 'wet' one pot dish on holiday like a casserole or something, do you use the chef pan/paella pan or a normal saucepan on the flame?
Can't picture if it would be too thin and shallow to work for things like bolognaise and sausage casserole for 5 people.

Ps - are you saying the skoettal is not another name for the paella Pan, are they 2 different things?

Fourmantent Tue 17-Oct-17 21:10:22

I would cook a wet dish in a large saucepan. I think the paella pan would also work but the surface area is massive. The chef pan is quite shallow - good for fry-ups, chicken, etc. The paella pan is a bit deeper. The skottel pan is concave and so would work well for stews, etc. Everything gravitates towards the centre so not so good for fry-ups.

We tend to fry chicken, sausages, steaks, veg, potatoes, halloumi, peppers, and so use the Chef pan most often. If you want to mainly cook wet dishes then perhaps the skottel does make sense...

Have a look on YouTube - lots of vids there. Also have a look at ukcampsite.co.uk on the Equipment thread - there are 100s of posts there about Cadacs if you do a search.

4yoniD Wed 18-Oct-17 18:15:57

I use a saucepan with mine (on the grid) but you do need a big saucepan. Be warned the carri chef is BIG and doesn't pack small. However the chef pan is big enough for bacon, egg AND toast, and does good toast! I do find I need a spirit level or my fried eggs all run and pile up in one corner.

I must admit I wish there was a smaller version (just a little smaller) or that they had designed it to pack up better - if only the lid stacked in the base.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Mon 23-Oct-17 08:02:22

We have the brai (part griddle, part smooth) and the paella pan which is brill for risottos and dumping in pasta into creamy sauce. The brai we use for american pancakes and bacon. The only bugger about it is that the pan is quite large so two trips when washing up! I wouldn't be without ours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now