Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Campsite - the impossible list?

(9 Posts)
NotEnoughCushions Thu 05-Oct-17 00:03:10

Help! We're looking for a campsite for the May holiday week next year to go away with friends. We seem to have an increasing list of requirements and I am driving myself mad looking at websites and reviews. Can anybody help with recommendations?

- Camping pitch - we have two largish tents and would want room for an event shelter in between for cooking/eating. Don't like campsites where you are on top of each other
- Must have Electric hookup
- Nice showers/toilets
- A good restaurant/pub within walking distance - we have a 'big' birthday whilst away and would like to go out for a nice meal
- Busy enough for the kids to make some friends but quiet enough not to have people still partying at 2am
- Enough 'local attractions' to be able to go out for the day a few times during the week - kids are aged 5yrs to 10yrs

Happy to consider almost anywhere in the U.K. but ideally it would be no more than 5 hours drive from the East Midlands.

Milliways Thu 05-Oct-17 07:04:26

Swiss Farm Henley-on-Thames? The tent field is unmarked pitches, hook up round the edges, we have had very successful groups there. Fab facilities, lake, playground, walkable to the beautiful town full of places to eat and with the Thames.

Oreocrumbs Thu 05-Oct-17 07:31:29

I’m not sure of the driving time from East Midlands but we are staying at baxby manor campsite near Thirsk over the May holiday next year.

We stayed last year and it ticks all of your boxes. It’s a really fabulous site. The pitches are well maintained and there is loads of space. There are fire pits for a campfire and the facilities are wonderful.

The shower block is beautiful and so clean. There is a communal fridge in the pot wash and there was a lovely drying room which came in handy.

A nice village pub is walkable down the farm track and it’s a beautiful part of the world. Lots and lots to do in that part of Yorkshire (you have to drive to it all, but plenty to do) we walked alpacas at a nearby farm, visited flamingo land and a county house that had an event on when we were there.

NotEnoughCushions Thu 05-Oct-17 22:54:44

Both of these look great, thank you. The Hideaway also has fire pits so something else on my 'must have' list. smile

Funf Wed 18-Oct-17 11:51:21

North Wales?
gwynant.com
Just check the Pub distance though

York? Just been here and its first class. Tell them what you need I am sure they will help accomodate.
www.millbridgefarm.co.uk
Just outside York, Marina cafe / restaurant and a local pub a short walk away, Mcaurther Glen outlet is 5 mins drive so you can use the Park and ride to get in to York.
This pub is excellent but 5 mins drive
thewhiteswandeighton.com

BarchesterFlowers Wed 18-Oct-17 22:26:51

How Stean Gorge is pretty special imo.

I am not sure if they have electric hook up as we never use it but imagine they would.

Fab toilet/shower block, two pubs within walking distance (although the best one is a strapping walk over fields/footpaths/up a big hill).

Lots to do nearby, Fountains Abbey, Brimham Rocks etc., etc..

Lots to do on site including as many trips down into the cave as you can stand for £20 per stay.

www.howstean.co.uk/accommodation/

NotEnoughCushions Mon 06-Nov-17 18:28:27

Just checked back and seen more suggestions. Many thanks, I will check them all out - I think we may now need several trips next year!

PanGalaticGargleBlaster Thu 09-Nov-17 20:04:42

Toms Field near Swanage.

Square and Compass pub nearby is one of my favourites in the country.

Lovely coastline walks and beautiful countryside near corfe castle.

Swanage itself is a bit of an old school seaside town, plenty of decent pubs and sea food restaurants.

goingbonkers123 Thu 16-Nov-17 22:33:12

Catgill campsite in Bolton Abbey - good facilities (clean and plentiful) plenty of space (not at BH) and the Devonshire arms down the road. Family farm next door and you can have fire pits. Bolton Abbey looks like a good family day out too. They didn’t have electric hook up but believe they’re doing it for next year, best check though. It was voted best campsite by cool camping too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now