Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Campsite in the Lake District?

(8 Posts)
reallyneedmoresleep Mon 02-Oct-17 13:53:55

Hello Campers! I am coping with the general miserableness outside by planning next summer. Can anyone recommend a campsite in the Lake District please? We have a fairly big tent, would like a campfire, ideally near a lake or river and not too expensive. We like a clean wash block. I am a bit too soft for compost toilets.
Thank you

BarchesterFlowers Mon 02-Oct-17 17:40:02

We haven't actually made it there yet despite it being on our list for more than a year but Kestrel Lodge has got everything you want.

Our favourite Lake District campsites are the National Trust ones - Low Wray, Great Langdale and Wasdale. No fires but BBQs are ok.

MegBusset Mon 02-Oct-17 17:43:09

Fisherground in Eskdale. Beautiful surroundings, right by the river Esk, campfires allowed, reasonable washblock. I don't think you can book, though - at least not least time I went - and does get busy in peak season.

TealStar Mon 02-Oct-17 17:45:07

Abbot Park in the South Lakes.

profpoopsnagle Mon 02-Oct-17 19:10:52

I personally wouldn't recommend Fisherground. It is lovely, but the facilities aren't anywhere near enough for the amount of people they have onsite. You can have fires, and there's a lovely play area (rope swings etc) for kids. It's also nicely situated for the Western side of the lakes, including the steam train from the site.

We've also stayed at the Quiet Site, which has great bathrooms. No fires I think, but it does have a great onsite pub. It's a little out of the way for many Lake District attractions.

reallyneedmoresleep Tue 03-Oct-17 18:33:36

Thanks for your suggestions folks. Am driving up from Kent so definitely want somewhere bookable.
I also get the rage with campsites that squeeze loads of people on but are seriously "underbogged". I hate knowing there are people waiting when I'm using the loo!

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 01-Nov-17 21:30:00

http://www.kestrellodge.co.uk

Campfires allowed, VERY clean loos/showers.

They don't fill the site up, even on bank holiday weekends. Have a small onsite shop, and close to the Sun Inn (wonderful food).

Lots of room for large tents.

It's just outside of Keswick, not right by a river/lake, but lovely views of the fells.

NannyR Wed 01-Nov-17 21:36:10

Another vote for Kestrel Lodge, I think it was Barchester who recommended it on a previous thread and I went this summer. Really lovely campsite and a good location.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now