Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is a SIM better than an airbed?

(15 Posts)
SocksBoatsAndQats Wed 05-Jul-17 16:49:25

Going camping for a week and considering getting a SIM instead of the airbed that we normally have. Are they more comfy?

bk1981 Wed 05-Jul-17 17:06:22

We find them a lot more comfy than an air bed and a lot warmer too. We have the 7cm Outwell Deepsleep and they're fab!

MrsHathaway Wed 05-Jul-17 17:35:33

Air beds get freezing. We use folding camp beds - not least because it frees up space underneath to store clothing in ikea bags which acts as further insulation from ground chill.

DS (9) uses a SIM for cub camping and reports it warm and comfortable.

SocksBoatsAndQats Wed 05-Jul-17 20:15:20

I HATED the air bed last year, it was horrid. May have to invest in one then, are they good for kids as well?

Would a double one be good for sharing?

MyOtherProfile Wed 05-Jul-17 20:16:18

Airbeds are cold and rhey deflate in the night. SIM are much better .

BarchesterFlowers Wed 05-Jul-17 21:24:22

I think an air bed (aerobed active to be precise) is more comfy than a SIM. We have got camping gear for every eventuality here 😳. SIMS, thermarest foam things, alpkit lightweight things, the odd camp bed.

I find the aerobed active as warm as anything else and more comfortable than anything else. We don't take it that often because of our camping style but when we do I love it.

TestTubeTeen Thu 06-Jul-17 21:56:22

I personally much prefer a SIM, even the basic thin ones from Aldi / Lidl.

Double SIMS are a pain to roll up though, I think.

ItsAMackerel Thu 06-Jul-17 22:41:18

We've just bought SIMs and they were a revelation - I slept so much better than I did on an airbed. None of that 'bounce' every time you turn over. I'm not lightweight and they were really comfortable. We have the Dreamcatcher 10cm - well worth it and would definitely recommend.

We have singles rather than a double though - easier to pack up and give us more options to use them if DC's friends stay over etc.

youngestisapsycho Thu 06-Jul-17 22:49:54

Err, what is a SIM?

TupperwareTat Thu 06-Jul-17 22:51:35

Oh wtf is a SIM? I thought I knew everything confused

Onhold Thu 06-Jul-17 22:51:47

Sims are too low for 9 much prefer a double height air bed.

Onhold Thu 06-Jul-17 22:52:47

Me not 9

BiggerBoatNeeded Thu 06-Jul-17 22:53:28

Self inflating mattress smile

BrieOnAnOatcake Thu 06-Jul-17 22:56:57

10cm double SIM here. Huge, bulky and not cheap but has transformed camping for me. Much warmer and more comfortable than an airbes, and no bouncing up and down when partner gets on or off.

I love it!

dannyboyle Thu 06-Jul-17 23:02:04

Had all manner of beds here and we have ended up going back to a good quality air bed, albeit singles.

Sims were too bulky, took up too much space in the car and to hard, didn't sleep well. We always have elec hook up so can blow things up. A sim now would be a second option after they air bed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now