Talk

Advanced search

Camping in Wales this summer

(8 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Sun 04-Jun-17 19:35:04

We are thinking of going to Wales, totally clueless. We are looking for a rural campsite with not too many pitches. We have two dogs and would like a playground that DD will make friends at. Do not want to be in regimented rows nor too close to our neighbours.

Thinking of Snowdonia and would love to go up Snowdon - is it ok for non climbers a 12yo dd and two dogs?

Have no idea what is on offer - oh, and it will rain wont it?

Milliways Tue 06-Jun-17 07:03:57

gwynant is rural and on my list for scenery and walkable to Snowdon but no playground.
If taking children I would head to Beddgelert but it may be too big for you? Great reviews though.
Beware the mozzies, And rain!

this thread has great advice about DC doing the climb.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 06-Jun-17 22:47:30

Thanks smile am a bit concerned about the midges tbh. They LOVE me confused

profpoopsnagle Tue 06-Jun-17 22:54:21

FForestfields has some of your requirements. It's very dog friendly, rural (enough) and there's loads of space- they have more pitches than they are allowed. Many of the pitches are numbered but not in rows at all. Excellent facilities, fires allowed.

There's no playground BUT kids are encouraged to play 'everywhere' and there's plenty of space to do this. You can set up a swingball/rounders, play in the streams and best of all there's a lovely swimming/boating lake which most people - kids and adults flock to. There's also a central courtyard to mingle.

It's near Builth Wells, so only just over the border, places in reach are: Rhyader and the Elan valley, the brecon beacons, Big Pit, Hay, Aberystwyth...

There are many walks directly from the site, not Snowdon's standards but high enough for beautiful views.

hz Wed 07-Jun-17 19:48:22

There is a beautiful campsite near Snowdon, right by a lake I wrote a review here. A couple of years ago we walked up Snowdon with 7 and 8 year olds. No problem. We went up the Snowdon Ranger path which is much quieter than the 'Llanberris motorway' and down the Pig which has some scrambly bits but was fun and beautiful. We like a walk on the weekend but we are by no means hardened mountaineers!

SPARKLYSTARSHINESBRIGHT Wed 07-Jun-17 21:22:42

Hi, have a look at Nantcol Waterfalls Campsite, we visited to look atthe amazing waterfall. The kids were playing in the stream and on a tyre swing. Looks fabulous and not far from Shell Island and Harlech

Thumbcat Thu 08-Jun-17 09:29:49

Not in Snowdonia but I can really recommend naturesbase.co.uk/

TheoriginalLEM Fri 09-Jun-17 00:30:04

Thankyou for these.I am qiite attracted to naturesbase but tgey all look fantastic

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: