Talk

Advanced search

Cake to take camping

(8 Posts)
GenevaJoey Tue 30-May-17 12:34:58

We're going camping at the weekend - leaving on saturday coming back on tuesday. It's my daughter's first birthday on the monday and I'd like to make a small birthday cake that we can eat for the first time on the Monday. We live in France, so the weather is likely to be quite warm (so probably chocolate not the best idea), but we also dont have hi tech cooling technology (an ice box...). Any ideas? I'm a bit worried a lemon drizzle would go mouldy? I'm not keen on fruit cake really.

Highalert Tue 30-May-17 12:40:52

Can't you just buy one there?

tattychicken Tue 30-May-17 12:43:38

Banana loaf? Coffee? You could make a simple icing there with icing sugar and water.

GrainOfSalt Tue 30-May-17 12:49:51

When we needed camping birthday cake we made a big chocolate crispy cake while we were there - cocoa powder, butter, golden syrup and sugar in a saucepan and then mix in the cornflakes/ rice crispies. we made one large one and put it on a tin plate and then once it had cooled popped it in the cool box to make sure it had set a bit - served it with a tealight candle in the middle!! cake

tattychicken Tue 30-May-17 12:51:36

Great idea Grain. 👍

AmyAmoeba Tue 30-May-17 12:52:47

Make or buy?
Madeira holds for two weeks if kept airtight. Lemon drizzle is just a variation so should be fine.
Just avoid anything with a buttercream type topping or filling.

GenevaJoey Tue 30-May-17 13:54:18

Hmm, lemon drizzle might be the winner then! smile (Giving coffee cake to my non-sleeping baby, is not appealing! ) I like the idea of making a crispy cake while we're there, though not sure i can get golden syrup! Thanks

BabyBlusher Tue 30-May-17 13:59:23

Chocolate orange cakes. Take a few oranges and cake mix that won't require eggs (or buy egg replacement) and mix it together. Cut the oranges like little mini pumpkin lanterns and scoop out the middle. You can add some to the mix if you want.

Pour the mix in, put the orange tops back on, wrap very tightly in tinfoil and put them in the oven or under the coals in a fire pit.

Wait about 20-30 minutes (maybe more if you have a fire instead of an oven) then unwrap them and take the lid off. Stick a candle in the top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now