Talk

Advanced search

Camping alps, annecy, Auvergne - recommendations and tips wanted!

(17 Posts)
applegate79 Tue 30-May-17 09:35:02

Having camped lots in France but mainly in the southwest and dordogne we fancy somewhere different so we've got 15 nights in August earmarked to go and have wondered about having 4 nights in the alps, 4 around Annecy and 4in the Auverge with a night or two stopping over on the way and way back (although very happy with long drives 10hrs ish just to get there if it means more time somewhere lovely).
So I'm looking for recommendations- campsites (3dc so a pool is enjoyed but we like low key campsites and aren't worried about resteraunts etc) and tips.
Would we be be better not going to the Auverge and saving that for another time or is it better just staying in the alps or annecy as they're close to one another rather than camping in both?
I'm not worried about packing up and moving a few times and would prefer to see/do a bit more this time but equally want to spend enough time in each place .
Thanks in advance

Milliways Wed 31-May-17 07:40:52

I have kept this thread on my watch list for when we go, if it helps?

Also this one

There are a lot on the ACSI site with good reviews too, all around the lake.

Archfarchnad Wed 31-May-17 10:48:58

I'd recommend a few days higher in the Alps in Chamonix. Lots to do with kid in summer. Trying to remember the name of the campsite we were at. It was a Kilometer out of town and we had our bikes to get around. It would be a nice contrast to Annecy on the lake.

Archfarchnad Wed 31-May-17 10:50:57

It was the Camping de la Mer de Glacé. Great views of the, er, Mer de Glace.

applegate79 Wed 31-May-17 12:29:06

Thanks so much to both of you for the information. I was leaning towards a few days in Annecy and a few days in Chamonix as although they're not that far apart from what I've read it's worth a few days in each place.
That campsite looks great, I've emailed them re availability so fingers crossed.
Annecy does look very booked up, I'm aware I've left it late to get organised this year although I'm hoping that some of the smaller sights perhaps a little further out may have some space!

stripeknee Wed 31-May-17 13:29:56

we stayed at a site a few years ago which had pool, kids club but was not super busy and lively, there was a good water park (vitam park) a 10 minute walk away and discounted tickets could be purchased from the site
we visited Annecy and Geneva when we stayed but i cant remember its exact location, i will ask DH

stripeknee Wed 31-May-17 13:33:43

the site is www.camping-la-colombiere.com/en/
DH said it was around 30 mins to annecy, so might be too far out of the area you are looking for

fatzak Wed 31-May-17 14:55:44

We stayed at Camping du Lac Bleu www.camping-lac-bleu.com/gb/ on Annecy a few years ago. It is on the opposite side of the lake to Annecy itself, and to be honest, the drive into Annecy itself was a bit of a nightmare as it was always so busy.

The site was right on lakeside - has a small pool and a restaurant plus some very low key kids activities. We loved the site - it was our car problems which made the holiday memorable for all the wrong reasons!!

fatzak Wed 31-May-17 14:57:12

We stayed at Camping du Lac Bleu www.camping-lac-bleu.com/gb/ on Annecy a few years ago. It is on the opposite side of the lake to Annecy itself, and to be honest, the drive into Annecy itself was a bit of a nightmare as it was always so busy.

The site was right on lakeside - has a small pool and a restaurant plus some very low key kids activities. We loved the site - it was our car problems which made the holiday memorable for all the wrong reasons!!

applegate79 Wed 31-May-17 21:55:42

Camping du lac blue is unfortunately full 😕 However de la mer de glace is not so have sent a booking request and found a lovely campsite near Annecy so a successful day with all of your help. I'm wondering whether we'll leave the Auverge for another trip ......

Fourmantent Thu 01-Jun-17 18:50:35

We stayed at L'Ideal on Lake Annecy. It's a beautiful site with a good pool complex and paragliders landing in nextdoor field. We spent two weeks there and there was plenty to do in the area. We did a day trip to Chamonix and the Mer d'Glace. Also a day trip to Geneva, a day trip to La Clusaz, a day trip to Annecy and a day trip to Albertville. There's also a nearby mountain with a luge run. We try to do a different area of France each year (Dordogne last year) and this is definitely my favourite.... it's stunning.

Smith1 Fri 02-Jun-17 22:55:32

Our best holiday ever was in the auvergne at la ribeyre. I don't think 4 nights is enough though for the area.

applegate79 Fri 09-Jun-17 21:42:04

I've come to that conclusion too. So 6 nights booked in Annecy and 5nifhts in chamonix are booked- can't wait!
Auverge is saved for next year.

Archfarchnad Sat 10-Jun-17 10:34:25

Excellent choice, I think.
A few highlights I remember about Chsmonix - kids were 11and 7 at the time, I think.
A high ropes course, three different levels according to age, you get to go up on the seat lift and go back down by the summer luge.
A small adventure part thing, most suitable for younger kids.
The aforementioned summer luge.
An outdoor swimming pool, don't forget the budgie smugglers for men and boys.
We did some lovely walks up in the hills - we took the cable car near The campsite up the hill and walked across, up or down from there.
The big and very expensive cable car up to nearly 4000 meters. Book in advance if you can to save queuing, and take winter clothes cos even in summer it's snowy up there.
On a rainy day the local cinema puts on extra showings of kids' films in English - I think we saw Ice Age there on our one rained-out day.
The crazy golf is huge fun there, but we're very much a crazy golf kind of family!
The train to Mer de Glace and then the walk down to the caves carved into the glacier - an absolute highlight for the kids.
We were in Chsm for longer than you - I think 11 days - and weren't bored at all, so in 5 days you'll have loads to choose from.

profpoopsnagle Sat 10-Jun-17 20:56:16

This thread is so annoying- I have a perfectly planned holiday in other parts of France this year...but now I want to go to the Auvergne!

DH will divorce me if he knows how much of 2018 I have planned this afternoon!

CheshireDing Sun 11-Jun-17 02:21:21

We have camped a few times in Valloire, small village with a pool, ice rink, pony riding and cable car up the mountains.

It's beautiful, worth keeping in the back of your mind for future grin

heron98 Thu 15-Jun-17 12:15:27

I stayed for a night in Valloire a few years ago during a cycle tour holiday of the Alps and have always meant to go back for longer. It was lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now