Talk

Advanced search

Camping Insomnia Help

(7 Posts)
ilovebagpuss Fri 26-May-17 20:12:33

I love camping we go fairly regularly as a family of 4. I am comfy and warm at night but really struggle to shut off and the first few nights can lie awake for ages even if it's quiet.

I have tried earplugs and necking many bevvies but still struggle. Does anyone else have this and if so what helps you?

Thanks

hz Fri 26-May-17 20:57:43

This totally happens to me. So annoying. As you say it's not about being cold or uncomfortable it just my brain staying in alert mode. I've found a eye mask helps a bit bit in the end I just try not to get stressed about it and comfort myself with the idea of a little nap during the day if possible! Good luck!

WildNightsWithAndyDay Fri 26-May-17 21:02:05

I get this. I lie there thinking how lovely and cosy it is and how I'm all comfy and snuggled up....then I just don't sleep. Then check the time and get in a tizz because if I don't get to sleep soon it'll be time to get up and I'll feel crap.

It's weird, I have no problem getting to sleep when staying in hotels it just seems to be camping. I did try taking a Nytol once which I would definitely not recommend/ I was up about 5 times needing a wee and felt like crap most of the next day. The only thing I've found that helps is a big glass of wine. But then you have the wee issue again.

hz Fri 26-May-17 21:41:20

Yes, WildNights! I do the same. Lie there thinking about how lovely it is to be camping. If there's a bit of wind or rain that adds to it. So cosy. I guess it's partly excitement! So sad.

DermotTheSprog Fri 26-May-17 22:17:25

Yes, I have audio books on my ipod and listen to them with earphones. No problem nodding off then or at least passing the time happily

Bourbonbiccies Fri 26-May-17 22:21:02

I do this too! It drives me crazy. First night I barely sleep a wink. Second night is usually better because I am shattered.

ilovebagpuss Fri 26-May-17 22:46:08

Glad it's not just me! I lie awake stressing myself out I'm not afraid of anything but it is this hyper alert state!
I will try the eye mask my youngest loves those so has a spare fluffy cat one somewhere grin.
I do have an audio book app too which I had not thought of trying. We are off to Aberdovey Monday so will see how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now