Talk

Advanced search

Camping fridge / cool boxes

(8 Posts)
MissSueFlay Thu 25-May-17 14:14:03

So, we are going camping for two, one week stints in July, but neither of them have electric hook-up. For weekends we've always made do with a cool box and freezer packs, for longer & with EHU we've hired a fridge (in France).

Can anyone recommend either a good high-performance cool box that works well with freezer packs, or a proper camping fridge - maybe a gas-powered one, or one that runs off the car battery (could it drain the battery if left on overnight?!). They all seem rather bulky for the actual food space that you get inside them....

Beenbadwolf Thu 25-May-17 22:13:49

We have a great fridge which runs on electric or gas and plugs into a 12v socket in the car. We fill it up at home, chill the food in the way to the campsite and then run it on gas. A 4.5 gas bottle runs it for 2 weeks.

www.towsure.com/dometic-combicool-rc1200-3-way-cooler-41l?gclid=CImbhcv6i9QCFVAQ0wod4V8LNQ

Kahlua4me Thu 25-May-17 22:44:54

We have an Igloo Maxcold one that so far seems good. We haven't had it long but the reviews we saw were all good?

Before this one we had a 3 way camping fridge that was great. It ran off electricity, gas or car battery. Probaby would flatten a battery overnight though but dh has an extra battery in back of his truck that we use when camping.

We had it for a long time until it packed up last summer, but have decided to try the igloo this year so will see how we get on....

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 25-May-17 22:51:02

Decent standard cool box, and buy a bag of ice every day. You don't need to keep things in there for days at a time, I'd just buy the essentials, milk, wine, etc when you buy the ice. It's £1 a bag, cools it down really well, and you've got ice for your drinks. With mine, I put it in after we've been out for the day and ditch anything that looks a bit warm/suspect. You can use the bag of ice to divide the coolbox, so if youve bought anything that needs cooling down (wine) put that on one side, and then all the already cold stuff on the other. Works a treat.

Also, it can help to move the cool box out of the tent when it's really hot to the shaded side of the tent. Makes a big difference to your wine temp

NearlyEaster Sat 27-May-17 15:07:16

Putting a wet towel over the top helps too.

Sometimes places with no EHU do a ice block freezing service.

lolalotta Mon 29-May-17 20:41:22

Icy tech boxes are £££s but keep stuff cool for days!

Tollygunge Mon 29-May-17 21:10:27

Was going to recommend icey tech, also Coleman passive extreme or whatever it's called

Tollygunge Mon 29-May-17 21:11:19

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0030BGA0A/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496088649&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=coleman+passive+cooler&dpPl=1&dpID=31iySO%2BwApL&ref=plSrch&tag=mumsnetforum-21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now