Talk

Advanced search

Camping stoves

(13 Posts)

After 3 years of cooking on one ring I am finely upgrading to 2 rings!! However they seems to vary in cost from £20 - £50!! Any recommendations? (I don't need a grill, just literally 2 rings - one for the kettle and one for the bacon smile )

HerOtherHalf Wed 17-May-17 22:02:49

Why don't you just by a second single?

Good point! I've been thinking about this and I think it's because I want one with a built in wind shield AND the 2 ring ones I've seen always seem more powerful than my one ring which takes AGES to boil the kettle!

Wondermoomin Fri 19-May-17 22:51:09

Or you could consider a storm kettle to boil the water more quickly thus freeing up your stove for the bacon?

Wolfiefan Fri 19-May-17 22:56:17

Can I hijack?! Pretty please. My teen boy wants to go camping with friends. I've pointed out the lack of anything smaller than a four man tent except the pop up BUT just thought about stoves. They may well need to eat at some point. Safest ones? He's a scout and doing D of E where they use scary stoves. (Meths?) Kind of don't want him to ignite himself! shock

Smeaton Fri 19-May-17 22:57:51

Kelly kettle gets my vote.
Get the full kit, comes with a stand and a frying pan etc, and throw the ring away.

BarchesterFlowers Sat 20-May-17 07:59:27

Wolfie, meths is our choice and is not unsafe at all. The fuel isn't pressurised unlike others. All he needs to do is not overfill the burner and only fill it once the reservoir has cooled down, never fill unless it has, and it is as safe as anything else.

Other thing is that you can't see the flame particularly well on a sunny day so check ignition by holding the back of your hand close enough to feel the warmth.

Am sure they will have taught him this at DOFE.

Wolfiefan Sat 20-May-17 09:07:38

If he was 17 I would say fine but he's 13. It's his first ever independent trip and I'm nervous!

TestTubeTeen Sat 20-May-17 09:17:22

Queen: the two ring stoves with gas bottle do burn hotter and boil water faster than the single burner stoves with the slot in canisters.
If you do buy another single ring, remember you can't put them side by side to cook, I think because the extra heat can make the gas explode. Also you are restricted to a certain size of pan on those single burners.

Wolfie, are they going to a campsite? I have not seen a site that will allow unaccompanied 13 year olds!

TestTubeTeen Sat 20-May-17 09:18:14

Wolfie , suggest he goes youth hostelling?

Wolfiefan Sat 20-May-17 13:18:06

Thanks @TestTubeTeen
They have a specific place they are planning on going. I'm sure I'm just being over cautious.

I ended up splashing out on one of these, they are new so not many review but they have a windbreak and use smaller canisters which is important for carrying reasons when I'm only adult.

PopGoesTheWeaz Wed 24-May-17 14:17:44

That is exactly the stove I want. I ended up getting a bigger one with a grill last year as that was all there was but a may end up seeing if I can sell it and get this instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now