Talk

Advanced search

Ferry to Spain and camping

(6 Posts)
RhubarbCrumbled Sun 14-May-17 14:06:28

Hello, I'm looking at maybe heading to Spain camping with the DSs next year. I'm looking at packing the tent and heading over on the ferry but need some help with planning! I'm at the really basic stages...

How much is the ferry likely to be for a car, 1 adult and 2 small boys? We'll be going for either Easter or summer hols. As I'm the only driver I'd prefer 24 hours on the ferry than a drive through France.

Recommendations for a nice area to stay in? We like nice outdoors, history (castles are always good), nice towns, somewhere for dinner, swimming pool, beach, sea. I've only ever been to Barcelona so am ready to explore!

Thank you!

AnthonyPandy Sun 14-May-17 14:15:47

Can't help with prices as haven't done that route for years and years but would like to mention that if you get a rough crossing it is grim . Hours and hours of grimness. I would rather drive through France tbh.

DancingLedge Sun 14-May-17 14:20:44

Did this, loved it.
Try Ferrysavers site.
Think the ferry is now £££
Check what actual ship , facilities, etc, with young DC.
Mine were teens, moaned about 26 hrs on ferry, but could entertain themselves.

Chewbecca Sun 14-May-17 14:24:33

Apols in advance for the negative post but this is my experience!

The long ferry to Santander / Bilbao is v expensive, around £500 each way last time I looked - just google it, it is v easy to get a price online.

DS was also sea sick on that crossing, has never been sick on any other sea trip so I am a little put off tbh.

Finally northern Spain, IME was much colder/wetter than mid/southern France so it is necessary to drive quite a long way south from those ports. We wore jumpers in August.

If you want to minimise driving distance, I'd stick with France and just go less far - say the Loire.
If you really want to go to Spain, I'd fly with EasyJet (book flights as soon as they come out) & hire a car & tent once there - cheaper & much more pleasant journey.

RhubarbCrumbled Sun 14-May-17 14:33:02

Hmmmm, I might look at flying and hiring a car in that case! Any suggestions for nice euro camp type places and areas?

badger21 Mon 15-May-17 06:50:48

If you're going to fly ... Corsica is awesome. Cheap flights with easyJet. Great campsites, beaches, towns ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now