Talk

Advanced search

Hiring a motorhome/rv/campervan

(3 Posts)
scootinFun Sat 13-May-17 16:33:19

Hi all
My inlaws are flying over from NZ and we're going to do a 11 day tour 'oop north' from Manchester to Orkneys and back. I need to sort a 6 berth vehicle (we have no car) for MIL, FIL, DH and self and 2 under 10's.
Has anyone got any recommendations for motorhome rentals? I don't want to pay the earth but more importantly need one that will accommodate 2 plus sized ladies and 2 6ft+ men. Oh, and we've never used a vehicle like this before....

midgebabe Sat 20-May-17 13:56:54

The northern Scotland roads can be tiny. Many a large van is left in central highlands campsites when people realise they are too big for the local roads, so people end up getting a hire car . So as big as you need and as small as you can bear. And east coast is much better roads than west coast. It can be noticeably slower to drive a van than car ., we had a hire which was very underpowered ( still had fun) so we had to use parking spaces as passing bays to prevent huge tailbacks. Check any mileage limits! Lots of hires assume under 1000 miles which I don't think is enough for your trip. Park and ride for any city visits is better than trying to manoeuvre a big van around. Check if there is space for luggage...the underpowered hire also had half the storage stuffed with things we didn't need. Van layouts are all different, best if you can have a look at options before you decide. Most places will let you look around well in advance as vans are always compromises. Will you have 2 +drivers..can you all reach the pedals etc ?
Have a lovely trip.

stripeknee Sat 20-May-17 17:50:22

may be worth checking the seatbelt situation to clarify as i know some 6 berth motorhomes to only have 4 seatbelts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now