Talk

Advanced search

Camping with young children

(17 Posts)
woollysocksaresexy Mon 08-May-17 14:27:36

Hi,
I am a bit of a camping novice but we are taking our two young children (3 and nearly 2) camping in late June.
All I can think of is that whenever I've been camping before, I always end up cold and uncomfortable by the morning. I can put up with this if its just me, but the kids probably wont be impressed, so I am keen on making sure they at least stay warm! What is the best way? At home the 3 year old has a blanket and the 1 year old is still in a grobag.
Help! I really dont know what to do, especially as space is at a premium!
Thanks!

SoulAccount Tue 09-May-17 08:16:10

Good insulation from the ground, sleeping bag, fleece blanket.

Cosy pyjamas, socks.

Don't use air beds, they are cold, kids roll off them, and jump on them so they deflate.

Decathlon do good foam mats with a foil backing which give good insulation. Wedge holdalls or other bags alongside to stop them straying on to the ground.

Sometimes I think of sewing tapes or elastic on to the fleece blankets so that I could fix them under the mats and stop them falling off. But have never got round to it.

aliceinwanderland Tue 09-May-17 08:32:50

Blow up mattresses. Onesies.

fairybells Tue 09-May-17 08:35:15

Use fleece pyjamas for the kids, thermals underneath if needed. Avoid using cotton against the skin as this will make you cold, use synthetic materials, preferably the ones to wick moisture off the skin. Warm fluffy socks!
Invest in decent sleeping bags for all of you, also if you're very cold at nights buy a sleeping bag liner, preferably fleece one. Lots of layers! Self inflating mattresses are best for insulation I think, still good to insulate underneath them and possibly on top too.
Our one year old wears thermals, then fleece pyjamas, then gro bag. He has one from slumbersac that has sleeves, 3.5 tog winter warm. Fleece blanket on top, all this when it gets down to about 8 degrees at night. He's never been cold yet!

Girlwhowearsglasses Tue 09-May-17 08:36:14

When ours were smaller we used these blow up mattresses - they have a raised edge so you don't slip off and seems much cosier

www.charliesdirect.co.uk/kampa-airlock-junior-airbed-candy-floss-pink?gclid=CjsKDwjw0cXIBRCxjqnE3K3sHhIkAL1LezRbSORsUxKozJkFLRqdLY_hPUX62BB385tGpO0Z7AaTGgKmR_D_BwE

Girlwhowearsglasses Tue 09-May-17 08:41:27

Ikea fleece blankets dry quick and are great instead of sheer on top of mattress

aliceinwanderland Tue 09-May-17 12:36:43

Oh, and last time we took a duvet. Very toasty

DachshundsForever Wed 10-May-17 12:44:33

Slumbersac sleeping bags are perfect for camping! Especially their sleeping bags with feet! You can pop your feet out through the holes if little one needs to use the bathroom and tuck them in for sleeping. The 3.5 tog bags have long sleeves too so they won't get cold at night. www.slumbersac.co.uk/long-sleeve-baby-sleeping-bags/

2014newme Wed 10-May-17 12:46:01

They wake as soon as it gets light anyway.
So tiring!

woollysocksaresexy Wed 10-May-17 14:00:47

Thanks everyone! Some great ideas, this is the bit I'm most worried about!

2014newme Wed 10-May-17 14:08:22

Can you try it out for a night eg in garden?

Waggamamma Wed 10-May-17 14:21:44

Waterproof suits for the littlies in the morning as grass will likely be wet and they will sit on it.

Bubbles are a no no bear tents as they damage the waterproofing.

Have an easy breakfast close to hand in the tent, brioche and bananas and little milk cartons are good!

4yoniD Wed 10-May-17 21:37:10

soulaccount I have SIMs (self inflating mats) for my kids and sewed a blanket into a tube (sewed long way and one end). The mats slide in and there is enough blanket to tuck under. Warm and easy to wash!

AStickInTime Wed 10-May-17 22:09:12

Take lots of fun stuff for them to do while you put the tent up and get camp sorted out (it always takes us longer than we think - fall for it every time!).

stargirl1701 Thu 11-May-17 21:07:24

These are more comfortable than my bed at home.

https://www.thermarest.com/ie/mattresses/neoair-dream-1

llangennith Thu 11-May-17 21:17:46

Duvet on top of air bed to insulate against cold. Then sleeping bag or duvet on top. Warm socks and fleeces. Remember to take pillows!

isittheholidaysyet Fri 12-May-17 21:58:11

Buy decent a sleeping bag for the 3 year old. From a camping shop.
Not something cheap meant for use indoors on sleepovers.

(Equally I recommend 2-3 or 3 season bags for adults)

If the little one is still in a grobag then I would dress in vest, babygro/pj's with socks underneath, fleecy onesie, winter weight grobag. With blankets you can put on top of him, when you go to bed if he feels cold. (Put fingers down his back to check, hands and face will be cold)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now