Talk

Advanced search

Kids camp bed - bunks

(11 Posts)
Lucyannieamy Sun 07-May-17 22:30:06

Looking for thoughts on camp beds.

We currently camp with air beds and have been tolerating the difficulties of kids jumping on them, deflating in the night, condensation and kids rolling off them. Hadn't really considered camp beds until I saw this Kid-o-bunk (was investigating solutions for staying at limited space relatives house, but if splashed out would take camping)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kid-O-Bunk-Childrens-Portable-Mobile-Camping/dp/B01J14S5JI

What are the issues that you've had with kids on camp beds?

SoulAccount Mon 08-May-17 07:43:30

My issues with those would be expense and car space.

In response to your air bed issues I would get SIMS. But not sure how that would help when you visit relatives.

How long are those bunks? How many years will they last?

BikeRunSki Mon 08-May-17 07:47:45

We use SIMS fir camping, and staying over at my PILs

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Mon 08-May-17 07:48:53

I'd be worried about the top bunk child rolling off, the slightest movement from either child keeping the other awake and the stability of the whole thing, especially camping as the ground is rarely totally even.

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Mon 08-May-17 07:52:02

I want some! I'm short and fat and want to sleep on a top hunk!

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Mon 08-May-17 07:52:25

Ok yes I'd like to sleep on a top hunk but BUNK top bunk

BikeRunSki Mon 08-May-17 08:13:46

Their usable lifespan will be pretty limited, as only 1 child needs to grow out of them for them to become pointless.

EduCated Mon 08-May-17 08:43:08

Have heard anecdotally that they can be very rattly if you move, and v. expensive for how quickly they'll be grown out of.

Lucyannieamy Mon 08-May-17 20:57:47

Thanks - would definitely use them in tent separately, so just like standard camp beds - have no experience of camp beds though - do your kids sleep OK on them?

Unfortunately the room at relatives is too small for 2 standard beds, it's single bed space only and has another use so they can't get a proper bunk. The alternative is DS sleeps on the only spare bit of floor in the room DH and I use, which would be ok, until we fell on him after a few glasses... Cost might be worth it to avoid that, if could also justify by taking camping. My kids are also the shortest in class so expect to get 5 years out of them and resale at 40%, so I work that out at £15 per child per year, doesn't sound so bad then! Obviously this could totally backfire when they refuse to sleep on them

Nowfindingdory Sat 13-May-17 06:40:34

They also do the adult size version to the kid o bunk if you are worried about child outgrowing them. Im purchasing the kids ds version fot camping trip. It's not very high do not going to hurt if they fall out as the bottom bunk is practically on the floor. There is room to manoeuvre as well

PopGoesTheWeaz Wed 24-May-17 14:50:08

I think they are very heavy - just double check as that was something that put me off but is probably what keeps them stable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now